Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,370   Online: 1100

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In our area, used goods sellers (including pawn shops) have to:

1) send details about all goods in certain categories they acquire to a registry maintained by the local police;
    2) hold those goods for a certain number of business days (usually more than a month); and
    3) confirm that the goods are not flagged in the registry as being stolen before they are re-sold or redeemed out of pawn.

Otherwise, they risk charges and/or losing their business licenses.

As a result, it is a pain to sell your used equipment through a store, and the stores have to put a lot more work into selling used equipment, but on the other hand a fair amount of stolen property ends up being recovered.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Throwing some stuff out there (based off of the seller's name, which I'm not reposting here):

https://www.facebook.com/TerrisTreasures814
    http://national.citysearch.com/profi...treasures.html
    http://local.yahoo.com/info-49614767-treasures-erie
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome!

I reported this information to the police.
    The detective I spoke to said that there are so many reports of stolen goods that they don't have time to follow up on them BUT because I called and gave some leads, my case has been assigned to a detective to be investigated.

He also said that theft from a car is classified as a third level misdemeanor but, since it was stolen from inside a garage, it is considered a felony.

Thanks, clayne, for helping me to get my case moved to the top of the stack!

Thanks, everybody else, for your moral support and help!

It makes a big difference!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maybe you should just bid on it and ask to pick it up, with your friend, the cop, along to drive ...? so far it's really cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Randy,

Let us know if they do manage to arrest the scumbag that did this to you.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cameras have been seen and I have a description of the guy.
    I spoke to the eBay seller. He claims he'll get the Rolleiflex back for me. I told him I will pay him back what he spent to buy it. I'll get the money back from Crime Victim's Restitution if I can. It was only $20.00.
    He says he refused the Pentax because he only wanted "old" cameras.

If the eBay guy does come through I'll give him a pass. If the cops catch the guy, we BOTH want to see him burned at the stake.
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format

PARTIAL RECOVERY!

Just recovered the Rolleiflex! The Gossen Meter, too!

I have a description of the guy who probably took the stuff.
    Know his name. Know where he lives. (It's only a couple blocks from here.)
    He has been seen walking the streets. Matches the descriptions.

Items still missing:
    Pentax Super Program & Lens.
    Winder.
    Pelican case.
    Random filters and accessories.

Cops have been notified.

Let's hope this scumbag goes to jail!
    Randy S.

-----

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I told him I will pay him back what he spent to buy it. I'll get the money back from Crime Victim's Restitution if I can. It was only $20.00.
    The guy is buying Rolleiflexes for $20?! I've heard of all kinds of flea market deals but I've never heard of anyone purchasing a well maintained fully functional Rolleiflex for $20. This was considered legit? Obviously I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I get asked all these questions like, "Was it locked?" "Where was it parked?" "Why was your camera in the car?" It's like people are saying I'm not allowed to be upset because its my fault. Well that's BS, I say! I shouldn't have to live in a locked down fortress be cause of some thieving dirtbag!
    I don't think any sane person is saying that. I think first of all the cops need to ascertain the exact circumstances of the disappearance in order to find the guy and figure out charges. They also want to eliminate insurance fraud. Other people probably just want to gauge how bad the neighborhood is. For me someone breaking into a locked car, disabling the alarm and having a rummage around the trunk is different than someone opening an unlocked door and plucking a GPS unit off the dash from a car parked on the street overnight.

Depending on your source 40% of residential burglaries involve the thief simply strolling into the house through an unlocked door or window.

Police say more than 40 percent of the burglaries reported in 2012 involved homes with unlocked doors and windows.
    http://www.komonews.com/news/local/S...214221391.html

I think saying you don't want to "live in a locked down fortress" and then keeping a loaded assault style rifle under your bed might be confusing to a lot of people. I don't want to get all political but securing your property with appropriate locks will do more to prevent a repeat of this type of thing than an assault style rifle. And that strategy would be cheaper and safer.

I live in a high crime area at the moment. A couple of people got shot two blocks away from where I live. I have never had a problem or a gun. I live in a secure building and always lock my front door and car door. I never leave ANYTHING in plane sight in my car. Someone would have to go on a fishing expedition breaking into cars if they wanted to discover whether my trunk was empty or not. I just make my home and car as unappealing a target as possible. The thieves move on to the unlocked doors and cars with goodies in plain sight.

I am not perfect though. I have a false sense of security. I still haven't written down all my serial numbers and photographed my equipment. Your story brought up a great discussion and I need to get that stuff taken care of ASAP. We can all learn from this and help each other out. I am glad you at least had a partially good result. I am disheartened at how ineffectual the police are though. You would hope once you did all the preliminary work and told them where they could find some of your stuff they would be over there the same day sweating information out of people. I understand they have a tough job to do but this case was gift wrapped for them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The police should talk to the ebay seller. As a matter of fact, that seller may have some difficulty for receiving stolen goods.

You really should not have to buy-back something that was stolen from you.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    glad u got your rollei back -- that's the biggie, and you are doing the right thing to reimburse the guy his $20 -- what the heck, small price to pay. Karma will smile on you.

to those saying he should be brought up on charges of receiving, or should have smelled something -- ease up -- if I found a rollei for $20 at a yard sale I'd probably plunk down the double sawbuck too -- it's an instinctive thing.

in this case, the guy did the right thing, cut him some slack.

as to whether yu should be criticized for leaving the stuff in ur car -- up to you, but in this day and age -- sorry if this feels like criticism -- but you really are asking for trouble if you leave stuff in a car. Nobody wants to live in a fortress world, but welcome to reality.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin