Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,761   Online: 949

Shooter
    35mm

Photomechanical filters

Does anyone know the difference between a Kodak Wratten Gel Filter and a Kodak Wratten Photomechanical Filter with the same number?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My limited experience suggests that the Kodak Wratten Photomechanical Filter is sturdier. They will be handled much more than the gel filters. In theory both would have the same light absorption qualities.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Kodak-Wratten...Qg!~~60_57.JPG

This is the backside of of a envelope printed as carrying a "Wratten Photomechanical Filter".
    As you see the text indicates that it is a cutable, not to be touched filter. Thus a gel filter.

Maybe as colour seperation filters can also be used for pictorial photography Kodak just packed those useful/intended for colour seperation work also in those special envelopes.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies.
    Both types of filters are gels and they both have exactly the same handling warning on the package. The only difference I can see is that the surface of the Photomechanical filters seems to be just about completely smooth, while the "regular" Wratten gels are usually a little bit "dimply." Could the Photomechanical filters be a slightly higher quality?

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best "photomechanical filter" is the spinning turbine on a Goerz Hypergon.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin