Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,821   Online: 803

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Put things in perspective: how much radiation will you get when you have an x-ray? Or an MRI? Or a CT scan? In all probability, the average house has much, much more radiation in it from appliances. All of those are infinitely more powerful than occasional exposure to a thorium-tainted lens. No big deal. Old Pentax Takumars had it. Whatever it was purported to do has long since faded into history, but such lenses are sought out by collectors for their curio value, if not actually used for photography. Speaking of which, it's probably time to get more lens work done than worrying about radioactivity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Put things in perspective: how much radiation will you get when you have an x-ray? Or an MRI? Or a CT scan? In all probability, the average house has much, much more radiation in it from appliances.
    http://xkcd.com/radiation/

I don't see Takumar on that list, but holding one up to your eye for 30 seconds (per frame) is probably about the same as eating a banana, (ie, SFA).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Re Wikipedia's rules, as I understand 'em Wikipedia allows nothing that hasn't been posted on the 'web. "I measured it" isn't allowed, neither is citing anything published on paper and not available on the 'web.
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. The vast majority of Wikipedia sources cited are paper originals--books, newspapers, and professional/technical/trade journals. Wikipedia does not allow ORIGINAL research as a source, ie, that which has not been submitted to peer review.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    There is more radiation in most basements
    Mark
    And from counter tops. You are in much greater danger from being run over by the proverbial bus.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just don't take shots of granite counter tops with radioactive lenses. The optics will quadruple the radiation!
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin