Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light bulb question

I'm putting this in miscellaneous 'cause it's a darkroom related question, but a mod may move it if they think it fits better elsewhere.
    I have a regular light in my darkroom that just blew the other day. It was a 100W one and I don't have any more and can't get one. Of the brighter replacements out there, which ones turn off the fastest and how long do they take? The boxes only mention if they turn on instantly. I don't really want to stand around for 10 minutes to wait for the light to be completely off. I tried using a 60W, but it isn't really bright enough 'cause it has to cover the whole room.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I'm putting this in miscellaneous 'cause it's a darkroom related question, but a mod may move it if they think it fits better elsewhere.
    I have a regular light in my darkroom that just blew the other day. It was a 100W one and I don't have any more and can't get one. Of the brighter replacements out there, which ones turn off the fastest and how long do they take? The boxes only mention if they turn on instantly. I don't really want to stand around for 10 minutes to wait for the light to be completely off. I tried using a 60W, but it isn't really bright enough 'cause it has to cover the whole room.
    You talking about compact fluorescent (CF) bulbs not regular tungsten bulbs, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use two 60-watt bulbs

You may be able to find some "special use" incandescents that are not prohibited under the new rules. Outdoor floods, "rough duty" lights for mechanics, etc.
    Truzi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had same problem. What was a 100-watt halogen before, I replaced with a 72-watt Halogen Reveal bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would use two 60Ws, but there's only one socket.
    Yes, I can't buy incandescents in 100W, so looking at the halogens, LEDs, and whatever else they have at Lowes/Home Despot. I just can't tell which ones will turn off quickly and not expose my film if I'm loading holders, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The halogens and LEDs will be fine - they don't illuminate after they are turned off.

Fluorescents are potentially the source of problems.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Last edited by Tom1956; 07-16-2013 at 11:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bethe- Would something like this work for you? You can use 2 60 watt bulbs.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055TCY46

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check out 100W "rough service" bulbs on that well known auction site. Same old incandescents, repackaged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Bethe- Would something like this work for you? You can use 2 60 watt bulbs.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055TCY46
    If I can't find some "rough service" 100W ones, that might work. I may try some LEDs first.
    Thanks!

Tom, are those non-smiley faces your opinion on the whole light bulb thing? Mine, too. But I think we're all preaching to the choir here on that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin