Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,992   Online: 1070

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Freezing rechargeable batteries

Does anyone have any ideas about freezing rechargeable batteries that are freshly recharged? I now have a couple extra left over from a purchase yesterday and I charged all of them up because recharging them takes so long. Would freezing them be a good idea? Thanks Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a better charger, mine charges in a couple of hours. I also have a lead to charge from a car cigarette lighter, and a separate adapter to give me 240V AC from the cigarette lighter for other chargers etc.

I store at normal temperatures.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmm... I always thought that freezing batteries drained the energy from them. My batteries die in the winter in the cold.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The battery experts that I have worked with over many years told me that freezing or refrigerating batteries was not productive. Freezing some batteries damages them.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you are using the newer NiMH slow discharge batteries like the Enloops they will last a long time without freezing them. They also survive freezing just fine (at least down into the -15C range). If they are the original NiMH batteries (no claims of year long storage) nothing I have seen will keep them from being self discharged in a month or two.

I have switched over to Enloops entirely. I use them in trail cameras in the Winter and they last fairly well, and definitely survive and function in cold weather.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Freezing a Li ion battery that isn't designed to withstand freezing is not a good idea.
    Refrigeration *might* prolong charge keeping.
    Do not put a very cold, or frozen battery in a charger, particularly a "rapid charger".
    - Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do not freeze batteries, it won't help and there's a good chance you will destroy them.

If these are AA/AAA batteries, buy Eneloops because they basically don't self-discharge.

Make sure you have a proper delta-V charger that shuts off when the battery is full (the voltage actually drops a couple mV), not just a cheap timer-based charger. Anything else and you will be damaging cells through overcharging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lithium rechargeables are preferable to those based on nickel. They hold their charge longer and are not subject to "memory problems." Freezing batteries is never a good idea. As far as refrigeration is concerned it is helpful with the older carbon-zinc batteries but not any other type.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never heard of such an idea. Very cold conditions would reduce the performance of fully-charged/in-use batteries so I don't know what storage in a freezer would do to them.
    If cold performance is a worry, switch to lithium batteries.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the great advice, they are now living happily at room temperature. Don

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin