Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,489   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have gotten slower because of my diabetic nerve damage.

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm on an upswing lately - I've found my photographic muse in my Rolleiflex, and I've been showing it a lot of love lately. Despite the sauna-like conditions here in DC in the summer, I've been making myself get out and take pictures. It's good training if nothing else, as it helps me learn to see what's already around me. While I love to travel, and I always bring a camera with me when I do (what's the point of a vacation without vacation photos??), I've discovered the joy of photographing that which I already know, because it's stuff I understand at a casual glance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in a frustrating rut myself. Summer means high sun most of the day. I have new puppy that needs A LOT of time. Too much work. Too many family obligations. Not making any progress in putting the darkroom together. I have definitely grown crabbier as my time behind the lens has diminished.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't shot nearly as much this summer, but that's mostly because of the weather. I also prefer the light of the other seasons. However I always have a camera with me, just in case inspiration strikes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My experience is that my photography is cyclical often fallow periods between projects then more intense bursts. ...

And then I'm about to move out of my own house and will have to build a temporary darkroom, that puts a damper on things as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    ... I've learned not to beat myself up when I'm not working and look at is as "winter" when all the creativity has gone underground to regenerate and renew itself. "Spring"(new work/time to work).... always comes.
    Same here. I've considered myself a "photographer" for 45 years, but there have been periods, usually months, (but once or twice measured in years), that I did nothing. Since this is no longer even a part-time profession, life often takes priority.

I, too, moved house 4 years ago, and it was a year and a half before I got the new darkroom up and running. Then, since I had spent so much time in construction, I was "sick of it" for a few months and didn't even want to go out there.

But, kick-starts come along. Many years ago, it was getting my first medium format slr. Several years ago, it was meeting other local photographers (through APUG, as a matter of fact) and getting involved in a collaborative project. Currently, it is a pending photo trip with a group that has me "practicing" almost daily with 35mm gear, so that traveling will be easier than with medium format.

Like my friend Valerie, I don't "beat myself up" if I'm not working. I mean, it's a hobby afterall ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've slowed a bit. In general, not just photography, I find I can come up with ideas for various projects a lot faster than I execute the projects. The fact that it's hot and muggy isn't helping any.

That said, yesterday I shot one of my last rolls of PX125 on something I've been eyeing for a while. In a neighboring town I caught some stuff I may check out in some other nearby towns. Tentatively "The Turrets of Schwenksville" (My 110mm macro as a short telephoto, but the longest lens I have for the Bronica.)

(I also confess to a bunch of casual snapshooting with "other" technology.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been moving up in formats for the last couple of years, so while the number of shutter firings has gone down, I think my total area of film exposed has stayed fairly constant. Ceasing to travel a lot for work changed the way I shoot drastically; I used to have fairly short windows in interesting places and needed to make the best use of them, with portable equipment. Now I'm much more likely to go out on a dedicated "photo safari" with a backpack full of large format.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sped up.. Since I picked up film gear again, I've been to events that I normally would ignore. Love it.

Todd

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think we all speed up and slow down according to how we feel. The myriad of possibilities for visual recording is almost infinite, that it is always good to rise to a challenge. Go to the most boring place you can think of and really look as a photographic medium may record. The variations for composition, timing, differential focus and lighting ratios (to name a few) has millions of variations. Where do we start?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently switched to shooting sheet-film only, and the increase in productivity has been amazing.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin