Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 734

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes.

Recession, depression, gas prices, film and paper prices.

Furthermore, most of my colleagues and friends don't shoot film (or any thing) anymore so there's a lack of stimulation.

Trying to fight it. Hope it works.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Shooting season for me in S. Fla. starts in November and goes thru April. That's a folk music performance season I shoot. Otherwise it's dodge the thunderstorms and drench yourself in DEET if you want to go outside in the summer. The last I actually shot a bunch of landscapes was in AZ two winters ago.

Years ago as in probably 10-12 years back I use to drive the Arizona state when visiting the parental units looking for pictures. A 200 mile trip was common and sometimes I'd stay overnight in Sedona with a friend and shoot for a few days there.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Life's obligations gets in the way of my photography.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Too much gear, body-wise. I find if I have too many cameras lying around, it can be a daunting task to figure out what I want to shoot with. So, I'm culling duplicates, in favor of having one example of a certain camera. Plus, I probably won't accumulate every single model of the Nikon Nikkormat series or the FM/FE series, etc.

Once I get rid of the F3HP, I'll have an F, an F2AS, and an F3P as my film arsenal. Might add an F4s, depending on how the auction I'm bidding on goes today.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.4 S, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    I've learned not to beat myself up when I'm not working and look at is as "winter" when all the creativity has gone underground to regenerate and renew itself. "Spring"(new work/time to work).... always comes.
    Well put... Creativity doesn't have an on/off switch. I find the "off" time to be beneficial. While I may not always be making photographs, I always "see" as a photographer. During the down times, project ideas start to percolate. With time (days, weeks, months) they begin to take shape, and I have to start them.

I'm 57 and everything is slowing down, slowly but surely.

Family life and home maintenance keep me busy, time to photograph is not as plentiful as it was when I was 27.

The upside is that I waste less film and feel I'm seeing better all the time. There are advantages to age and experience.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have rollei 35s, leica plastic , xa and nettar. My lab is successing to process and scan my film where camera lenses are not identifiable. I am not seeing nothing but dark ugly scans. I am too lazy to find new lab and their prices increased
    %300 , I think I will have no more business with taking photographs. But studying carbon, platin, gravure, wetplate , autochrome, dye transfer , rotogravure and the diy polaroid film and the linear scanner array rotating camera idea ,
    increasing the complexity of the ergonomics of camera idea, pinhole anamorphic camera idea , building my lens from acrylic , writing my lens design program, writing my photoshop plug in keep me interested in somehow.

I have lots of hobbies like going to antarctica by rowing , making my top fuel engine out of concrete or carbon , building musical instruments , building americas cup boat 6 meters long , crossing the ocean in smallest boat , learning chinese , russian , dutch , marollian , german , developing syldavian expanded dictionary , machine translate 250000 pages of empire , soviet , russian archaeology journals , translating 140 volume byzantine books etc etc

And building gamelan instrument family from plasma cut 6mm steel , making a gong , obtaing many patents etc etc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've slowed down a little in the last 2-3 weeks because it's been too hot in the U.K ( It's been the hottest and driest July in Britain so far for about 230 years) to lug my gear around in temperatures of around 86 F is for the birds , so I've tended to carry less equipment, and chose go out early in the morning and late in the evening, and I'm wearing just shorts and a T shirt,( an awesome sight )
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I've slowed down a little in the last 2-3 weeks because it's been too hot in the U.K ( It's been the hottest and driest July in Britain so far for about 230 years) to lug my gear around in temperatures of around 86 F is for the birds , so I've tended to carry less equipment, and chose go out early in the morning and late in the evening, and I'm wearing just shorts and a T shirt,( an awesome sight )
    86 degrees in Britain is hot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    86 degrees in Britain is hot?
    It is Tom, because in the U.K. whatever weather we have it takes the authorities by surprise , three sunny days and there's a water shortage and a hosepipe ban, three or four inches of snow in the winter and the transport system grinds to halt, and they haven't enough grit to treat the roads and the schools are closed, if Moses would have seen our transport authorities there would have been another commandment.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin