Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,724   Online: 1236

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It is Tom, because in the U.K. whatever weather we have it takes the authorities by surprise , three sunny days and there's a water shortage and a hosepipe ban, three or four inches of snow in the winter and the transport system grinds to halt, and they haven't enough grit to treat the roads and the schools are closed, if Moses would have seen our transport authorities there would have been another commandment.
    Wow, in Connecticut, USA we have had 100 degree days for about 2 weeks now, and this winter we had a single snowstorm that left 3-4 FEET of snow... That did take us a day or two to dig through, but still...

No wonder you couldn't handle fighting us... *snicker*

I don't like humidity but 86 degrees is almost a perfect temperature, so nice and warm but not too hot (unless you're in a business suit).

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a conversation with a colleague about the obstacles in creating art. He recommended the book War of Art.

http://lifehacker.com/267724/beat-re...the-war-of-art
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post

Guess you weren't in Washington in August of 1814.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Guess you weren't in Washington in August of 1814.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
    ♪♫ In 1814 we took a little trip
    Along with Colonel Jackson down the Mighty Mississip
    We took a little bacon and we took a little beans
    And we caught the bloody British in the town of N'Orleaans ♫

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8e_MSPqy0
    Last edited by Tom1956; 07-21-2013 at 09:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    all in fun.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A divorce (3 yrs ago), three 16-yr old sons, and a new girlfriend seem to limit my photography time.

But I took a walk this afternoon in our local city park (acres of redwoods, a pond, etc) and got to thinking that I'll be in Eureka for at least two more years (until the boys grad. from HS) and I have this great park that I have been ignoring -- basically because it is not as 'nice' as the national and state redwoods parks (that are ~50 miles away, north and south). So here is a place I could easily make images in -- capturing its uniquiness as a city park with old-growth redwoods and its heavier mark of man.

A couple minutes from my house by car (to haul the 11x14), I can step out side to check the weather and light and quickly head on over for just a set-up or two. Going to the state and national redwood parks tends to be an all day thing, making the drive (and gas) worthwhile.

I have been using my Rolleiflex a lot, though, on whatever trip I happen to be on. So I have scores of rolls I have not printed and about 10 rolls on hand to develop. I am giving most of them extra development (~100% more) to make little platinum prints with, some I develop to eventually make silver gelatin prints with...yeah, right. If I have time to print, it will most likely be my backlog of 8x10 and 11x14 negs in pt or carbon!

But the boys will be out of the house (in theory only) in two years, I am looking for a place to buy with studio space to make carbons, give workshops, etc. So as I hit my 60's, I hope to be able to reverse my trend of slowing down and instead increase my time spent photographing, developing and printing.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wow, in Connecticut, USA we have had 100 degree days for about 2 weeks now, and this winter we had a single snowstorm that left 3-4 FEET of snow... That did take us a day or two to dig through, but still...

I don't like humidity but 86 degrees is almost a perfect temperature, so nice and warm but not too hot (unless you're in a business suit).

As a prominent American journalist Ambrose Bierce once wrote "wars are Gods way of teaching Americans geography"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not shooting as much as I used to, which is a blessing in disguise, because I can actually somewhat keep up with my printing. Instead I am printing like a mad person. Lots and lots of printing, which I love to do. Then I really love to sit down and spot the prints. Those finishing touches have become very enjoyable to me.
    It's a matter of trying to build some portfolios of work, and I'm all of a sudden very inspired to do so. In the last couple of months I've gone through two entire gallon kits of LPD, a lot of paper, and a couple of gallons of fixer. This is fairly extreme for me.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a very interesting thread, as there are quite a number of factors which influence our photographic "metabolism". I am shooting far less colour film lately, partly because of the rising cost, but also because I am increasingly identifying myself as a black and white photographer. I am also shooting a lot more sheet film, which reduces the overall number of exposures, but generally increases the productivity of my work. Ever mindful of the growing backlog of negatives I have yet to print, I have taken to pausing a second or two before pressing the shutter to ask myself whether the photo I am framing is worth the time in the darkroom to create a final print. On top of these factors is the fact that my darkroom is in a rough cellar which I access through a trap-door in my kitchen, and which is the domain of many sinister spiders in the summertime, who like nothing better than to wait for me to turn off the lights so they can tickle the back of my neck.

Nonetheless, I still shoot some film every day. As I am sure I have said far too often, I started the photo-a-day challenge on January 1, 2010 and have not missed a day yet. I shoot more when I am on a project or am preparing a show... less when I am between.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world; the photographic possibilities here are virtually boundless. While my shooting ventures do tend to drop off during the rainy season, I do shoot year-round.
    Re above: And living a block and-a-half from the university, where else would one see, on a warm 21st of July afternoon, an attractive young woman, dressed in an aquamarine blue mermaid suit, being pulled around campus, in a bright red radio flyer wagon, by two individuals, one dressed as Darth Vader, the other as an Imperial storm trooper? A case in point why I always carry a camera and why I carefully monitor the film inventory in my frig (especially the HP5 and, for the time being, the E100G).
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin