Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,968   Online: 849

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    Yes.

1.) I don't have the money to shoot as much as I did (film is EXPENSIVE here)
    2.) I can't just walk into my local photo place(s) and pick up a bulk roll of film, nor can I order one online and have it at my door in 24 hours anymore
    3.) I can't get C-41 done in 30 ~ 45 minutes anymore
    4.) I no longer have a darkroom

Living in Japan will spoil a film photographer rotten. I wish the rest of the world would catch-up.
    Don't the swiss have lots of money? Order by mail and order bulk ahead of time, be prepared
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm getting back in the game after about 5 years.

My wife got t-boned in the drivers side door of our Honda Civic by a full sized pickup truck 5 years ago. The other driver is a hard drinker, heavy smoker, and was partially paralyzed from a previous stroke. He had a seizure, swerved into the oncoming lane, and kept his foot on the gas as he plowed through the Civic.

Suddenly, photography became less important.

This happened when my new darkroom was 3/4 finished, but the money set aside for the darkroom was used for the downpayment on a larger, heavier, safer vehicle.

We self represented ourselves against the insurance company for over a year, until we were forced to get a lawyer. Then it dragged on for another 2 years. We're at 5 years post accident now, and while she is nowhere near 100%, we have joy in our lives again.

Three years ago just as I was entertaining getting back into photography again, Enbridge, the same company that spilled 3.8 million litres of diluted bitumen into the Kalamazoo River (diluted bitumen sinks in water) announced they wanted to build an 850,000 barrels a day dual pipeline and bring over 350 VLCC's a year (1,100 foot long supertankers) into my home town of Kitimat, BC, Canada.

We started a new group, Douglas Channel Watch, got Intervenor status with the Canadian Government's Joint Review Panel, and dove head first into the review process. Egad...what a time absorbing commitment that was! The Panel has closed submissions from Intervenors and will make their decision in six months, so I suddenly have free time on my hands.

Intend to make up for lost time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-27-2013 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post

My wife got t-boned in the drivers side door of our Honda Civic by a full sized pickup truck 5 years ago. The other driver is a hard drinker, heavy smoker, and was partially paralyzed from a previous stroke. He had a seizure, swerved into the oncoming lane, and kept his foot on the gas as he plowed through the Civic.

This happened when my new darkroom was 3/4 finished, but the money set aside for the darkroom was used for the downpayment on a larger, heavier, safer vehicle.

We self represented ourselves against the insurance company for over a year, until we were forced to get a lawyer. Then it dragged on for another 2 years. We're at 5 years post accident now, and while she is nowhere near 100%, we have joy in our lives again.

Three years ago just as I was entertaining getting back into photography again, Enbridge, the same company that spilled 3.8 million litres of diluted bitumen into the Kalamazoo River (diluted bitumen sinks in water) announced they wanted to build an 850,000 barrels a day dual pipeline and bring over 350 VLCC's a year (1,100 foot long supertankers) into my home town of Kitimat, BC, Canada.

We started a new group, Douglas Channel Watch, got Intervenor status with the Canadian Government's Joint Review Panel, and dove head first into the review process. Egad...what a time absorbing commitment that was! The Panel has closed submissions from Intervenors and will make their decision in six months, so I suddenly have free time on my hands.

Wow, perseverance... Be well, and wish you better events going forward, and welcome to APUG and all that.

An aside, if I had another griffon pipeline bullshit come through my town I would make it unprofitable for them to do so, organize destruction on their lines (safely so no one would be hurt) and sit in protests and make their loved hell to make mine a safer place.

However I'm not really a violent person and probably all tall... Lol

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glad to see you back Murray.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks stonenyc and Matt (who I'm so glad to see still hanging around here!)

On top of all that I had health issues that left me barely good enough for work, where I was doing tons of forced overtime. Thankfully both the work and health issues have been completely resolved.

On the bright side...I lost my stutter, can now speak in front of crowds or cameras, and haven't had a drop of alcohol in over 3 years

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks stonenyc and Matt (who I'm so glad to see still hanging around here!)

On top of all that I had health issues that left me barely good enough for work, where I was doing tons of forced overtime. Thankfully both the work and health issues have been completely resolved.

On the bright side...I lost my stutter, can now speak in front of crowds or cameras, and haven't had a drop of alcohol in over 3 years
    Murray, welcome back! I do remember your name, and am glad you have 're-enlisted'.
    Congratulations on overcoming your difficulties; I hope you get a chance to feed your passion now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Murray, welcome back! I do remember your name, and am glad you have 're-enlisted'.
    Congratulations on overcoming your difficulties; I hope you get a chance to feed your passion now.

Also noticed he was part of the "council" so when can I get a cool sub-division name? I'm on here enough, I should have some responsibilities and a title to go with it don't you think? (hope Sean doesn't just put "annoying" next to my name) haha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also noticed he was part of the "council" so when can I get a cool sub-division name? I'm on here enough, I should have some responsibilities and a title to go with it don't you think? (hope Sean doesn't just put "annoying" next to my name) haha.
    Stone,

I don't think they put someone in that role who can't handle TMax film. And you raise more trouble than they'd care for a council member to solve...

"Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Stone,

I don't think they put someone in that role who can't handle TMax film. And you raise more trouble than they'd care for a council member to solve...

Haha!! Touché

I don't want to be on the council though, I want a whole new category, above subscriber but below council, with SOME responsibilities but not a ton, maybe even if its like a subscriber who's subscribed more than one year in a row without a laps in subscription, it motivates people not to let their membership last which keeps APUG's incoming money more steady and predictable, (send out an email "don't let your subscription lapse and lose your elite status, resubscribe now for another year!" Etc). And those who donate a little extra (or like me, do trades with a donation attached to it) get a little camera icon next to the subscriber word, call it "super subscriber" or something.

It's the little things sometimes...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is true that many moons ago I was on The Council. Due to an unfortunate tripod injury involving more than mere penetration (don't ask) I can't remember the secret handshake or password to enter the Council Chambers. This leaves me, sadly, merely mortal and unable to get the sprinkling of Magic Council Dust from Sean which would enable me to grant your wish of a cool sub-division name, StoneNYC.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin