Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,641   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Maybe so but San Francisco's notorious for giving out those tickets very quickly. Probably due to way more cars per hilly street than most places!
    Yes, because it is a public safety concern.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Save your sanity (and fenders, side panels etc.). Park outside the city at any BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station and enjoy the ride. Wear your walking shoes and enjoy one of the few major cities in California where it is enjoyable to walk and everywhere you do, there is something to see. Make sure you go to the Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee; my favorite tourist stop!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always enjoyed taking visitors down streets where the sidewalks are actually steps.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Nelson View Post
    Save your sanity (and fenders, side panels etc.). Park outside the city at any BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station and enjoy the ride. Wear your walking shoes and enjoy one of the few major cities in California where it is enjoyable to walk and everywhere you do, there is something to see. Make sure you go to the Buena Vista for an Irish Coffee; my favorite tourist stop!
    Exactly right! A car in the city is more of a millstone than a convenience.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    SF parking tips for tourists:

http://sfappeal.com/2010/07/i-recent...-in-wonderful/

i.e., many neighborhoods you need a neighborhood permit sticker to park more than 2 hours...
    San Francisco has meters which go dormant at night, and appear to be non-function if you were to pull up to the meter and park before meter enforcement hours. They will NOT permit you to feed money in advance of enforcement hours, they will simply wake up at the designated time and start to blink 'Violation' until you come back to feed the meter or the parking enforcement arrives and starts writing tickets. That is what I experienced last year, and I was lucky in needing something out of my car, which brought me back two minutes after the meter woke up! However, according to SF official web site, you can now prepay meters for the time you need even if you arrive before the meter begins to be enforced – you will not be charged until the meter begins operation (e.g., at 9 a.m.). Prepayment begins at 4:30 a.m. at all meters every day (except at Port meters near waterfront). (Watch out, I don't know if what the web says is in full implementation! Better safe than sorry.)

San Francisco has meters which are variable in parking fee rates, based upon demand. Most meter rates are between $2.00 and $3.50 per hour for cars, and city has piloted demand-responsive pricing in SFpark pilot areas, where rates incrementally adjust every 6-8 weeks based on demand and may range from $0.25 to $6.00 per hour.

As of January 2013, parking meters are in effect all days of the week, including Sundays.

Watch out for street cleaning signs on which one side of the street cannot have any parking on a certain period for street sweeping...your car WILL be ticketed, the cops precede the street sweepers since it helps reduce the city's income shortfalls!

Most neighborhoods that are near key routes for mass transit use officially issued neighborhood stickers so that residents can park all day, while other cars are rigidly enforced for 2 hour limit, so that commuters do not take up all the parking all day and prevent residents from parking.
    Last edited by wiltw; 07-20-2013 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And if you don't curb your wheels like this you will get a ticket.
    Worth doing when parking on a incline in any city.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    San Francisco has meters which go dormant at night, and appear to be non-function if you were to pull up to the meter and park before meter enforcement hours. They will NOT permit you to feed money in advance of enforcement hours, they will simply wake up at the designated time and start to blink 'Violation' until you come back to feed the meter or the parking enforcement arrives and starts writing tickets. That is what I experienced last year, and I was lucky in needing something out of my car, which brought me back two minutes after the meter woke up! However, according to SF official web site, you can now prepay meters for the time you need even if you arrive before the meter begins to be enforced – you will not be charged until the meter begins operation (e.g., at 9 a.m.). Prepayment begins at 4:30 a.m. at all meters every day (except at Port meters near waterfront). (Watch out, I don't know if what the web says is in full implementation! Better safe than sorry.)

San Francisco has meters which are variable in parking fee rates, based upon demand. Most meter rates are between $2.00 and $3.50 per hour for cars, and city has piloted demand-responsive pricing in SFpark pilot areas, where rates incrementally adjust every 6-8 weeks based on demand and may range from $0.25 to $6.00 per hour.

As of January 2013, parking meters are in effect all days of the week, including Sundays.

Watch out for street cleaning signs on which one side of the street cannot have any parking on a certain period for street sweeping...your car WILL be ticketed, the cops precede the street sweepers since it helps reduce the city's income shortfalls!

Most neighborhoods that are near key routes for mass transit use officially issued neighborhood stickers so that residents can park all day, while other cars are rigidly enforced for 2 hour limit, so that commuters do not take up all the parking all day and prevent residents from parking.
    And here I thought DC had evil parking fees/processes. They recently switched here to a 2hr max, $2/hr rate until 10pm throughout the downtown business district, including areas that are almost exclusively composed of Federal office buildings, which is an asinine restriction in those areas because there's NOBODY in those areas after 6pm, and the pay garages all close by 7. So if you're going to a meeting after hours, or trying to eat in one of the restaurants that fringe the area, you're screwed. And they switched in large areas to the print-a-meters, which are good in theory because who carries $6 in quarters around in their car, but they're lousy in practice because frequently you have to circumnavigate the block or cross the street to find one that's working. And the meter vultures won't cut you any slack if you're coming back to your car with the paper in hand.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank God I'm a country boy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Worth doing when parking on a incline in any city.
    Or anywhere else.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    And here I thought DC had evil parking fees/processes. They recently switched here to a 2hr max, $2/hr rate until 10pm throughout the downtown business district, including areas that are almost exclusively composed of Federal office buildings, which is an asinine restriction in those areas because there's NOBODY in those areas after 6pm, and the pay garages all close by 7. So if you're going to a meeting after hours, or trying to eat in one of the restaurants that fringe the area, you're screwed. And they switched in large areas to the print-a-meters, which are good in theory because who carries $6 in quarters around in their car, but they're lousy in practice because frequently you have to circumnavigate the block or cross the street to find one that's working. And the meter vultures won't cut you any slack if you're coming back to your car with the paper in hand.
    Between that and the traffic speed cameras, I just do not bother to go in to DC any longer. Nothing there is worth the hassle. I wonder if that is what the DC government wanted.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin