Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,867   Online: 963

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

San Francisco Veihicle restriction?

Hey guys,

really quick.. I leave for San Fran for our trip this Sat. I was thinking.. Is there any restriction for type of vehicles allowed in city limits. We are planning on taking a conversion van. The footprint maybe slightliy larger than a Econoline van but stands a little higher. I realize that finding parking might be a challenge. Just curius if if there is any restrictions. Aimed at Local residents.

ToddB

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Why not call the city and ask them, this is a film forum... The city hall would have that answer most likely.

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have driven large vehicles around San Francisco, including box trucks and full size motor homes. There are some streets which are very narrow, the lane width on a few major streets is narrow, and some overheads are low.
    But your conversion van will be fine on the streets. Be careful with underground parking or garages.
    Last edited by lxdude; 07-19-2013 at 09:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You also need a GOOD low gear

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No legal restrictions, but parking is not easy. I live 45 minutes south of the city and hardly ever drive into San Francisco - I usually take public transit into the city to avoid the parking hassle. Parking gets more difficult the larger the vehicle!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    You also need a GOOD low gear
    Good brakes, too.
    And when starting from a standstill on a hill, keep your foot on the brake as you give it gas until you feel the van trying to go forward. Otherwise, you could roll into the car behind you before you can react.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    parking is not easy ... Parking gets more difficult the larger the vehicle!
    You may have problems in the various parking structures around the city.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When parking on a hill [READ: everywhere in San Francisco] turn the downhill side of the front wheel to the curb [The curb holds the vehicle from rolling.]. If there is not curb turn the downhill side of the front wheels away from the closest side of the road [If the vehicle were to roll downhill, it will roll off the road and not on to the roadway].

This will work everywhere and is not restricted to San Francisco.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Parking can be hell. Some parallel spaces are made deliberately short, so that anything the size of a delivery van will automatically get a ticket.
    Lots of the parking meters are electronically rigged, so that if you even move your vehicle within the allotted time, you will still get a ticket if
    it's within a radius of several blocks. SF reminds me of that old Boss Hogg TV town where they constantly moved a portable fire hydrant in front
    of cars to ticket them. Another point of caution - bicycle riders in SF can be not only rude but dangerous, and sometimes think they're exempt
    from basic rules of the road. So be cautious of them suddenly cutting in front of you etc. Avoid rush hour. And obviously, downtown and the
    conspicuous tourist areas are a lot more difficult than the residential areas or the beach. Chinatown can be hell to find parking in - best to
    use the garage. But this is largely just a matter of specific difficulties, where knots in traffic occur. A lot of the town is easy to get around in.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Good brakes, too.
    When I lived there, one of the first things I was told is that "San Francisco" is Spanish for "new brakes".

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin