Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 763

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm left eye, right handed as well. At least the SLR's I've shot haven't poked me in the eye, manual wind was Canon AE1-P, and now Nikon F4/F6, neither of which have winding levers. Of course it makes no difference to the 8x10.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow. Never thought of it this way.

Always used right eye. My right eye is nearsighted and my left is farsighted. With glasses, everything is OK; without, passable.

Use right eye w/ glasses on all SLR's My point 'n' shoot has a diopter correction built in, and I set it for my right eye w/o glasses. The magnifier in the waist level on my Kowas seems to also work well with my right eye sans glasses.

However, my most recent toy is a Fuji GS645 rangefinder. Since age has allowed me to have just the faintest beginnings of cataract in the right eye, the left eye works muuuuch better with the Fuji's rangefinder. Fortunately, the viewfinder on that machine is in a good place for the left eye.

I learned 35mm with an old Zeiss Ikon that had "blind" scale focusing. You know, that worked, too!

As for the test in the original post, I was left eye the first time, but now that I'm aware of what's happening, I can go either way ...

Cheers y'all.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot with my left and am right handed. I learned photography with a rangefinder and have never really had a problem poking myself in the eye.
    Interestingly enough when I was a soldier I aimed a rifle with my right eye and never had a problem. Perhaps my eyes are ambidextrous. Perhaps I am just weird.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fingel
    OK, this is weird, I have to reorient when I close either eye. And I can make it work for either eye depending on what thumb I hold up. If I use my right thumb I'm right eyed, but if I hold up my left thumb then I'm left eyed. (or maybe I'm doing it wrong).

I just went back to the how to do this post, and when I hold my thumb out and focus on my thumb, I see two background objects, when I focus on the background object I see two thumbs. So I just have to pick one. Maybe I'm still doing it wrong, or maybe neither one is dominant. I don't know.
    Nope your just screwed up
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only 'Wink' by closing my right eye, am right handed, right footed, but hold a bat ( cricket or baseball or Golf Club ) left handed.I focus my L/F with my Left eye.
    Cheers Barrie. BTW ALL of my negatives turn out up side down in ALL of my cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fingel
    OK, this is weird, I have to reorient when I close either eye. And I can make it work for either eye depending on what thumb I hold up. If I use my right thumb I'm right eyed, but if I hold up my left thumb then I'm left eyed. (or maybe I'm doing it wrong).

I just went back to the how to do this post, and when I hold my thumb out and focus on my thumb, I see two background objects, when I focus on the background object I see two thumbs. So I just have to pick one. Maybe I'm still doing it wrong, or maybe neither one is dominant. I don't know.
    I had the same problem. Hold thumb out - focus both eyes on THUMB and cover distant object with thumb. Close one eye and then the other.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have no master eye either. I can also write with either hand etc. I use my left eye when photographing, probably due to learning photography with a RF in my youth. I have noticed however that one eye sees colors a bit warmer than the other. A real devil when I'm color printing!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Interesting thread. Either predominanace of Left eyed photographers, or only they feel compelled to reply, or indeed due to cross-eyed polarisation effect only they could see the thread subject.

Another combination for me, just to keep things moving!

Left-eyed, left handed single hand tasks, right handed double hand tasks, kick ball with both feet, right with more power, left more accuracy.

Images
    Right handed, right eyed, right foot and right brained (assuming it is functioning), I shoot both a bow and Gun right handed, but cross my left arm over my right when I cross my arms, same with my left thumb over right when I clasp my hands to pray for the wind to stop.

My wrist doctor had a weird sense of humor. He said "true ambidexterity means you can wipe your rear with either hand. Writing with both hands is easy try wiping your rear." Okay maybe over the line but he had a point.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    left-eyed, left footed, and right-handed. my genetics professor didn't think it was possible (the genes are linked and are thought to be in order eye, hand, foot, so to have the middle one different is odd). I've only shot a gun a few times, but I think I'd use my left eye.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin