Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,268   Posts: 1,534,354   Online: 855

Thread: C-41 developing

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

C-41 developing

I took some C-41 (color) to a local lab for develop and scan. The prices were kinda high and I can detect no difference between them and the local MalWart 1 hour other than cost. Since it's machine processed there really is little to no difference is there? This is personal stuff nothing I'm selling at this point. Opinions/facts?

Shooter
    35mm
    There will probably be no difference in the development in the negative stage, that is a purely 'mechanical' process involving times temperaturs and the quality of the chemicals (there is a good bit of latitude there anyway, Where it will and can go wrong is when they are printed. Unless the machines are properly calibrated that you are going to get all sorts of problems. It may be the operator knows his stuff and any printing you have done will be ok, but if he doesn't - well you take your chance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would expect a lab will handle the film better than someone with minimum training at a big box store.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've heard Walmart is now sending film out and not returning the negatives. You only get low res scans back with your prints. Not sure if that's true for all of them, but i'd check first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There should be absolutely zero difference.

In practise however, labs running low volumes of film or struggling for margin will likely be under-replenishing or failing to keep their process in control, which means their quality can visibly suffer. And you might be at higher risk of damage due to scratching or fogging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a local firm who are in between the 1 hour set-ups and a professional lab. They are fine but occasionally they need to send films to their head office for developing (reversal films) and their standards are awful. I think the difference is a mixture of training and how much the staff are willing to bother as the trouble I have had with Happy Snaps head office has been scratches and dust not the actual processing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin