Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,722   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Curt,

As a younger man nail guns and Skil Saws worked me over too. I have a pair of fully-in-ear aids ($Big) paid for by my employer's insurance years after I had actually incurred the damage. Couple things:
    1. If your hearing loss is not recent, you'll have to learn "how" to hear again. This can take some time. 'Be patient' my hearing aid person told me.
    2. If loud noise damaged your hearing to a certain threshold the aids work by amplifying sound to some degree louder than that threshold. In my left ear that was 85dB. I thought it was crazy to blast my already damaged hearing with even louder noise so I stopped wearing them quite a while ago. Vanity also played a part too, I'm sure.

My hearing loss was in a rather narrow band of higher frequencies (the saws) and I can get by OK, but women's voices and sounds like 'H' often fall into that band and I don't hear them. My family is patient but it's a pain at times. Sometimes I think it's getting worse in my left but the right is pretty much that of a guy my age-also not pristine. The aids sit in the drawer and I'm hoping they find a drug that re-grows the hairs in my cochlea at that point where that saw sound impinged. Unlikely. You can do like me and be grateful you have your eyes: Looking at my family is often better than listening to them.

Good luck and hope this helps,
    s-wha'?-a
    Thanks I appreciate it,

Mine is like an inverted bell curve. The mid range is at the bottom of the 'U' shaped curve so it is missing in a diminishing way. The biggest problem is in noisy places. I've always been pretty good at contextual understanding so if I hear the whole sentence or paragraph I can fill in a lost word. The expensive models have built in Bluetooth so my iPhone and anything else Bluetooth would be wireless. It's been a year so I need to get them. Both ears are the same, interestingly enough. There's an app for that! Iphone had an app called Sound Check. I downloaded it and remarkably the results were the same as the hearing test. It's good for those who want to know but font want to go get it checked. There are two negative aspects to hearing aids, first is the cost, second is vanity or stigma.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Now we're talking MY world. I've always been near-sighted and never had any problem with reading even tiny print - until now when the cataracts are developing. I'm in line for laser surgery on both eyes to have new lenses installed (my wife is having that done as we speak and is delighted with results so far, 20-20 in the first eye, about a 30-minute operation).

Before I retired in January 2007, my hearing was getting so bad, even with hearing aids, that the company paid for a special telephone (tone control + amplifier) that included a "neck loop" plugged into the phone so that when the hearing aids were set to the telecoil mode they could pick up the phone signal by induction. My "word discrimination" was down to 20% in each ear without the hearing aids at that point. This was not due to loud noise damage, just age. The loss of hearing increased almost by the day and got to where I couldn't make out what my wife was saying across the dinner table, a quiet environment. A new set of hearing aids helped for a while, but then my audiologist said she could no longer help me with hearing aids, so she recommended certain people by name at the University of Washington Medical Center who were researching a hybrid cochlear implant under monitoring by the FDA. It's called hybrid due to the implant working in conjunction with an in-the-ear canal standard type of hearing aid. I had it done for my left ear and kept the hearing aid in my right ear. This combination has boosted my hearing from the 20% level to about 90%. The best part is that Medicare paid for nearly the total cost - in the six figures, and my Medicare Supplement plan picked up 80% of what was left, so it only cost me about $600 including the year's worth of testing after the implant. Glad I had it done, because there's no telling what might happen with Medicare coverage in the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I graduated from the University of Washington School of Medicine, Department of Radiation Therapy as a Radiation Therapist. An implant is the hope of many people with profound hearing losses I've talked with. I would consider it. As a Vietnam Veteran I can apply to the VA in Seattle, another hospital I trained at. Or just take three grand from my retirement and go to Costco! I'm eligible for Medicare but I'm on my wife's insurance. It's from a hospital plan, you know, costs a lot and covers little. I'll have to do something soon, what?, what?, what?, you only get one, more than one "what?" tends to piss people off. Ever go through a drive up window and a teenage girl blasts out at Mach 5? What?, what?...
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    127 Format
    Hi Silver0,

Do you have a link for that hybrid implant? It could really help my wife.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by silveror0 View Post
    ...she recommended certain people by name at the University of Washington Medical Center who were researching a hybrid cochlear implant under monitoring by the FDA. It's called hybrid due to the implant working in conjunction with an in-the-ear canal standard type of hearing aid....
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bill, email sent. Not sure if offices are open on the weekend, but you can try.
    Best wishes.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Thank you, Sir.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like flip up magnifying lenses from Fisherman's Eyewear. Since I use single vision glasses these work well for making adjustments to large format cameras, rough focusing on the ground glass, and other tasks. I can flip them up and have normal vision. At work they are handy when I have to work in the network closet or do other fine hardware operations.

At the moment I can still hear everything I want to hear...
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin