Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,818   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Those who need reading glasses

Not sure if posted in the correct area of the forum, but thought I would mention that some years ago I needed reading glasses. Having recently bought a Zeiss Ikonta, I find it difficult to read the numbers of aperture and speed without reading glasses and not wanting to take glasses with me when walking round with a camera, I bought one of those small flat plastic magnifiers based on the Fresnel screen principle. Cutting this in half gives me a 1” square bit of plastic that I carry attached to the strap to read the numbers. I thought this tip may be useful info to others who need reading glasses.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Not sure if posted in the correct area of the forum, but thought I would mention that some years ago I needed reading glasses. Having recently bought a Zeiss Ikonta, I find it difficult to read the numbers of aperture and speed without reading glasses and not wanting to take glasses with me when walking round with a camera, I bought one of those small flat plastic magnifiers based on the Fresnel screen principle. Cutting this in half gives me a 1” square bit of plastic that I carry attached to the strap to read the numbers. I thought this tip may be useful info to others who need reading glasses.
    Clive,

I've been thinking about painting the shutter speed numbers on my M3 in color groups, sort of like the (flash sync) color groups on a Nikon F. Made going without glasses much easier when I was still using that camera. Even in Leica-land I don't think a shutter speed dial would be too expensive. The aperture markings I can still figure out, for now, from their shape.

Life stumbles on,
    s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hear you! Why did they print them so small, and some of them with black on black! Your idea is a good one, I will give it a try.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I need them for my meter, for the shutter speed, for the aperture, when winding my RH/10, for finding things in the bag, for finding the bag itself..... sigh. I actually keep a non-prescription pair in my bag and leave the good ones behind. This way I can beat them up, drop 'em, get them sweaty and not care. They also look a little like Ansel's glasses, and that's cool. I tried small magnifying sheets but I kept loosing them, and needed my glasses to hunt them down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear glasses all the time, they have varifocal lenses, and I have no problems seeing at any distance.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good point; I find that a pair of non-prescription reading glasses in my photo bag helps a lot. That way if I break or lose them it will be only $10.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or 3 for $12 at Target. South of the border, that is.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    35mm
    Pair of Hoodnam glasses with varifocal lens so I can see all the small numbers, and see what I am taking a picture and then flip them up to focus. Buy the time I am ready it has got dark out an have to start over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With bifocals, Varilux, things are good. One problem I had was with "transitions" lenses. Out on a day that turned them into sunglasses, so to speak, when darkened it's impossible to see small dark numbers in lenses. Also in bright light but in a car on a nice day they don't turn dark enough. So clipon's are added.

Last eye exam my ophthalmologist took off the transitions so it's on and off with clipon's. He did say transitions would interfere with my photography. It does add a degree of interference. Noted.

Now for a Sub Category: Those who need hearing aids.
    All the shop work and other loud environments have worked me over. Now for the three grand.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Now for a Sub Category: Those who need hearing aids.
    All the shop work and other loud environments have worked me over. Now for the three grand.
    Curt,

As a younger man nail guns and Skil Saws worked me over too. I have a pair of fully-in-ear aids ($Big) paid for by my employer's insurance years after I had actually incurred the damage. Couple things:
    1. If your hearing loss is not recent, you'll have to learn "how" to hear again. This can take some time. 'Be patient' my hearing aid person told me.
    2. If loud noise damaged your hearing to a certain threshold the aids work by amplifying sound to some degree louder than that threshold. In my left ear that was 85dB. I thought it was crazy to blast my already damaged hearing with even louder noise so I stopped wearing them quite a while ago. Vanity also played a part too, I'm sure.

My hearing loss was in a rather narrow band of higher frequencies (the saws) and I can get by OK, but women's voices and sounds like 'H' often fall into that band and I don't hear them. My family is patient but it's a pain at times. Sometimes I think it's getting worse in my left but the right is pretty much that of a guy my age-also not pristine. The aids sit in the drawer and I'm hoping they find a drug that re-grows the hairs in my cochlea at that point where that saw sound impinged. Unlikely. You can do like me and be grateful you have your eyes: Looking at my family is often better than listening to them.

Good luck and hope this helps,
    s-wha'?-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin