Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 847

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason I mentioned that is because the OP said that the batteries suddenly seemed to die after sitting for a comparatively short time. I was saying that he was likely seeing that "knee" effect.

The knee effect gets worse as the battery ages or if it has been overcharged or abused.

Bottom line: Unless there is something wrong with the camera, which seems unlikely, he's probably observing normal behavior for NiCd batteries that are near the end of their useful life.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I honestly didn't think they still sold NiCd's anymore,
    In my post I was referring to used equipment. Nicads are no longer made because of the toxicity of cadmium.

Rechargeable lithium batteries are safe in the sizes that consumers use, AA size or less. There may be a problem for larger batteries or assemblies of many batteries if heat dissipation is not properly handled. Some laptops have caught fire.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 07-28-2013 at 12:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Stone,

I will give the set another charge and use them until they are completely drained to determine their actual longevity under regular usage. If the set won't hold a charge for a "reasonable" load, I will either send them in for a rebuild (numbers on the pair indicate a manufacture of 04/78) or press the set, with charger, into service as a paper weight.
    78!!!

As in 1978???

If you have rechargeable batteries that even work at all from 1978 that's a miracle...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries. They have an extremely long life when charged and they're worth every penny paid for them. They're the only type of batteries I absolutely trust to still hold a charge when I've left them unused for any length of time. I can't remember where I bought mine originally, but Costco also carries them.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    78!!!

As in 1978???

If you have rechargeable batteries that even work at all from 1978 that's a miracle...
    Unless the cells have been damaged by overcharge, why wouldn't he? No moving parts here.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Unless the cells have been damaged by overcharge, why wouldn't he? No moving parts here.
    You obviously don't know how batteries work, it's like chemicals for developing, they stop working because the chemistry oxidizes and changes and no longer works the same, batteries are the same...

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    78!!!

As in 1978???

Assuming that is what is meant by Nikon's code on the batteries! The sets I have show 78/04 and 79/12, respectively. Perhaps the numbers indicate something other than date of manufacture?

BTW, regarding the toxicity of the heavy metal cadmium: this is the heavy metal found in whey protein isolate, a favorite supplement used by many body builders and fitness buffs...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    ...Do NiCads discharge of their own volition? If so, how quickly?...
    This page

provides all the information you'd ever need about nickel cadmium batteries. From the section on charging:

"When not under load or charge, a Ni–Cd battery will self-discharge approximately 10% per month at 20°C, ranging up to 20% per month at higher temperatures."

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    ...Nicads are no longer made because of the toxicity of cadmium...
    About 15 years ago I purchased an X-Rite Densitometer that runs off four AA nickel cadmium batteries. Roughly seven years ago, the batteries would no longer hold a charge. I bought replacements at Radio Shack. Just last week, noting decreasing time between charges and sensing the end of that set's useful life, I ordered another four:

The original batteries in the densitometer were Sanyo brand. The listing for these indicates that, apparently, Panasonic has purchased Sanyo's battery manufacturing operation. I have no reason to believe the set of batteries en route to me is anything but newly manufactured.

Note that it is important to observe all equipment cautions and instructions concerning replacement batteries. For example, my densitometer's nameplate directs that only 600 or 700 mAh NiCd batteries be installed, and warns that a fire hazard will result otherwise.

I consider $8.40 every seven or eight years for batteries to be a considerably better alternative than buying the current NiMH-powered version of my densitometer

which sells for $1,288.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I remember using NiCad are 3 things. You have to drain them completely because they have a "memory". In other words, if you recharge half-empty, they'll have have of their potential capacity. They don't indicate when they poop out until the last second. They're old news.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Thank goodness for rechargeable lithiums. I won't buy anything now that uses nicads.
    Lithiums deteriorate whether you use them or not. NiCds only deteriorate with use. Each has its place.

One thing I like about rechargeable NiCd AA cells - you can always use regular primary AA cells. There's no easy way to replace lithium cells once a few years go by and they're no longer in production for a device.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin