Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,314   Online: 1203

Shooter
    Large Format

Series VI filters

I'm in need of a series VI IR filter. I can't find anything about them anywhere, or if they were even made. Does anybody know if they are available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have the answer for you, however, an alternative is get a adapter to use more readily available filters like 49mm or 52mm. Good luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try these folks: http://www.filterfind.net/Home.html The Cokin system might be a possibility, although I don't know if they have IR filters.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Although I heard that such Series IR filters might have been made, after searching a long time I never did fine one. Consequently, I can't say for sure whether there really are or aren't any out there. But in the mean time I came up with what I think is a really nifty DIY solution; something you might consider yourself. To make a long story short, have a look at this "Series-VI" IR filter, which I put together myself:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finished filter.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	72284

If you look closely, you can see that the body of the filter is actually just a Series VI retaining ring - the double-threaded type to be exact, i.e., one of these:

Name:	retainer.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	72285

The IR filter glass itself came from a particular screw-in type IR filter; namely a 46mm Hoya R72 as shown here:

Name:	Hoya-R72-46mm.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	72286

What I discovered is that the glass element in the 46mm screw-in Hoya filter is just a little bit smaller than the size of its threads (like most are, I suspect), something like 43mm if I remember correctly. And that size turns out to be just right to nest inside the internally-threaded portion of a Series VI retaining ring! You can remove the glass from the Hoya ring easily by just carefully prying out the snap-ring; the glass simply pops right out, nothing else holding it in. In my case since I had a couple extra Series VI retaining rings, it was an easy choice to turn one of them into a dedicated Series-VI IR filter by just adding the Hoya glass. Now all you have to do is place the glass in the retaining ring, and then find a way to hold it in place. For this it occured to me to try the snap-ring from the Hoya assembly, and it turns out that it actually does fit pretty nicely in the threads of the retaining ring. Unfortunately, the glass is tall enough that the snap ring doesn't get quite enough "bite" on the threads of the retainer so it is not really very secure (it can pop off too easily) So what I did was to seat the snap ring as best I could and then stake it in place with some super glue. So far this seems to be holding nicely, and now I have a good modern IR filter in "Series-VI" mount, which I can use on any of my Series-compatible cameras.

A couple other notes:
    - As an alternative method of securing the glass, you could simply pot it directly onto the retainer rather than bothering with the snap ring. This would be a good permanent solution, but I wanted to be able to pull the glass out easily again if I ever needed to. I also think it looks more "finished" this way.
    - Another thing is that my original intention was to find an IR filter glass whose outside diameter was just right to work directly as a drop-in Series-VI filter - i.e., something close to the nominal 41.3mm diameter of Series-VI filters. Unfortunately it is hard to find exact dimensions of the glass in commercial filters. But my guess is that something close to a 43mm filter would be about right, so you want to see if you can find that size. That would be a more elegant and versatile solution than what I have done.
    - I can't guarantee the exact glass size of any particular filter - all I know is that the Hoya 46mm filter had the right sized glass. It is also possible that a "thin-line" filter might be thin enough to allow the original snap ring to be used to hold it in place in the retainer. That would be neat.

- Before getting an honest-to-goodness R72 filter, I also played around with making IR filters out of E6 slide film, and made a couple of these into Series-VI filters. Here is a picture showing two attempts at that to give you some other ideas. The first attempt (on the left) is in a cardboard or plastic mount (I forget which), while for the newer version (right) I was able to mount the film directly into the metal ring of an actual Series-VI filter from which I had removed the broken glass:

Name:	E6 IR filters.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	72283

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found that for my Kodak Series 6 push-on adapter a 44mm step ring works fine. I'm sure the threads aren't really a correct match but close enough to fit. I went 44-52 to use my existing filters. I've also seen 44-49 for sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second adapting to the latest standards. I happen to own a Wratten 89B in Series VII -- but I bought it new circa 1964! In following ePrey for a while, I have seen very little in IR filters and hardly any in Series filters of any size. I'm not sure when it happened, but what was once a shot at "universal standards" appears to have succumbed to consumerism!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chuck, thanks for the tip about the 44mm step-up ring working with Series-VI threads. That's good to know. I used to find myself wishing there were official step-up rings that went from Series-VI to other thread sizes (they don't), but if the 44mm works, then we're good to go!

Dave makes a good point too about adapting to the latest standards. But I think it depends on what kind of equipment you are already invested in. If you are working with a single camera which happens to have Series-VI threads (or no threads, so you are using a push-on adapter), then there's not necessarily a compelling reason to search for a Series mounted IR filter if you can easily adapt to a "standard" threaded size. This is especially true if you are already invested in a certain thread-on filter size for other cameras that you have.

On the other hand, if you’re like me and have a substantial number of vintage cameras with small non-threaded lenses, and in particular if you are already invested in Series filters, then it makes sense I think to go the Series filter route. Anyway, it sounds like you have a couple of choices to choose from now, so good luck with whatever you choose.

By the way, I find that a lot of older cameras look really cool with an IR filter attached - almost like a person wearing sunglasses. Here is my Duaflex III for example:

Name:	6914213303_355065cd79_z.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	72318

(Actually, Series-V is probably the more appropriate size for this camera, but as I said I am already invested in Series-VI so I used a V-to-VI step-up adapter).

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did more checking with the 44mm stepup ring. It did not work with my Ednalite adapters. Too small for a thread match. It worked fine with several Kodak adapters and a Tiffen series step ring. A couple Kodak Series VI hoods worked on the Ednalite but a Tiffen hood did not. It was too loose. As I have heard in the past not all makers Series VI (or other series) items work perfectly with other makers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Series VI filters are currently listed by filter manufacturer Heliopan in Germany.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin