Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,989   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wedding Photo Advice

I have been asked to photograph someones wedding, which is not really my thing. I would like to help out, but I'm a bit apprehensive because I have never done this sort of thing before. Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    get to know the place.
    Get to know the schedule.
    Make sure you have all the stuff you MIGHT need depenmding on light at a particular moment and stuff.
    Get a skivvie to help you.
    Charge stupid price.
    hth!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asegreti
    I have been asked to photograph someones wedding, which is not really my thing. I would like to help out, but I'm a bit apprehensive because I have never done this sort of thing before. Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks.
    Several years ago I was a wedding photographer and made some money. I was pretty good at the artistic and technical side so my work was quite acceptable. I don't do it anymore. Why?

If the bride does not like you or she does but you annoy/irritate her on her wedding day, she will hate your photos. It doesn't matter how good they are. I'm not a great people person so I struggled with the bride relationship.

So if you must shoot the wedding, make sure the bride is happy with you. The groom is pretty much irrelevant. All of the portraits must feature the bride and everyone else is just furniture.

When shooting candids at the reception, shoot only family or very best friends. Shoot the cake cutting, toasts, money dance, bride dancing with father. If you see some schmoe dancing with a bimbo and nobody knows who they are but they're making quite a scene... don't take the shot. I guarantee you that later, nobody will buy a print.

Shooting a wedding with no experience is something I'd never ever do. I assisted another photographer for a couple of years before doing one on my own. There are a lot of ways to screw up and miss important pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what I was thinking. I'm not that great of a people person either and I don't think I like weddings that much...SO......I think I am going to decline the offer. I just see too much going wrong or getting annoying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been doing some to build up that portfolio. I do a lot of "other" events (fundraisers, grand openings, ground breakings, etc). Not rewarding in the artistic sense, but they are challenging. Making an event look fun when there are 50 people there is challenging. I do it to support my personal photographic habits.

Weddings I do on a selective basis, and I agree with ScwhinnP, focus on the bride, always keep moving about to follow her and who she interacts with.
    The post ceremony stuff you should advise the bride to have the groupings she wants prior to so they can be assembled and ready.

I do think the groom shots with best men are important too.
    I also take table shots of the family and some friends as I have learned they want to remember those that came. I even ask where they are from, if traveled a long way, good to get them.

Just treat it as an event and relieve the pressure somewhat everyone puts on these.

Have back up cameras, flashes, batteries and easy/quick access to whatever you need.

Go for it, no biggie.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by asegreti
    Thanks.
    How much lead time do you have? If it's in the next couple of weeks... you're better off NOT taking the gig.

Wedding photography can be (is) a very stressful job and if you're not 100% prepared, the results suffer.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on
    I've been doing some to build up that portfolio.

Just treat it as an event and relieve the pressure somewhat everyone puts on these.

Have back up cameras, flashes, batteries and easy/quick access to whatever you need.

Go for it, no biggie.
    If I was getting married today, I'd choose a photographer who made his mistakes on someone elses wedding and had no portfolio building left to do. Is it fair to ask the couple getting married to pay for your education?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi

I did my first weddings without get paid for it, they only had to pay my films and processing costs and not more and they where good friends of mine and still are so I did also read a book about it and I worked always with at least 2 cameras and 2 flashes. So good luck, but don't do it if you don't like it sounds dangerous to me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't be getting paid for it, nor do I want money for it. I would pay for my own film and everything...the person wants someone who is not going to be taking "traditional" wedding photos. I have showed them samples of my work also...but I am not going to do it. I'm sure other opportunities will arise.

If the idea does not excite you then pass on it. Doing weddings can be very stressful to the uninitiated and in your case a no win situation. You aren't getting paid and if they don't like the pictures you get the blame.

Weddings are a (supposed to be) once in a lifetime event. Your friends should find someone to do it that is experienced.

I promise you it will not be worth the headaches and they will still be your friends.

Just an opinion,

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin