Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,351   Online: 1243

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I wonder if quilters ever feel like quitting?
    And do quitters ever feel like quilting?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Very interesting post,who would have thunk there is a twin out there.

I am starting to do exactly the same thing with my work, how are you storing the prints , what editions are you doing, and do you have a web site to sell the work?
    I am also at a stage where I am exposing more film than I ever have and trying to keep up is a big undertaking but the experience is overwhelmingly positive.
    The biggest hurdle for me is archiving the work well so at a moments notice I can find each image to show people. I have bought storage racks for home that are very sturdy and I have been till now using the grey storage boxes, but very open to hear how you plan to archive and modify my system.
    I have just started and to this point have one or two AP 's of every image, but now at a stage where I want to print every free moment I have.
    My wife is exactly the same way so I am really lucky to have this partner.

I would love to see some of your prints as you are doing exactly what I think each and every photographer should do, good luck over the next 10 years.
    Being stubborn and hardworking are IMO the most important attributes to becoming a great printmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I have to print all my best from each and every film I ever shot. FB archival. I've been doing it for the past 4 years and I have about 10 years left in order to finally finish my whole collection, at the rate of a dozen 16x20 or 20x24 prints or about 25 11x14 a week.

Some masterpieces in there. But sometines I do ask myself why do I bother with all this. My answer is thay I am extremely stubborn and that I was born with a camera in my hand. Therefore I won't quit. Everybody has a vice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing you could try is putting away all your gear (don't sell them now), getting a couple of film holders if you don't have them, a large format pinhole camera (or making one yourself during an evening) and start photographing exclusively with it. Developing sheet film in trays and contact printing them under a light bulb, the experience just doesn't get any better. I'd choose at least 5x7, but 4x5 contacts can be very nice, too.

And the camera will be as simple as it can be, but still remain a powerful tool. This could be refreshing coming from the Nikon F5. Or anything else, for that matter.

Don't forget a light tripod.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My sister frequents a website like APUG: RAVELRY

Amazing quantities of time go into it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Over my funk

I got over my snit. And I apologize, that is very rare from me. I am sitting here on our 80 acres of heaven and the sky is filled with big beautiful clouds, the rabbits are all over the place, the horses are chasing each other all over their paddock. What right do I have to bitch about anything? So thanks for all the help, I am back to my flight call sign "LaughingPolarBare

Otherwise known as Don

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No need to apologize, we all have these moments, I think it has to do with being human
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that what Benjiboy said is not trivial: that it becomes part of one's DNA. I cannot imagine not using film and paper. There is probably no reason for feeling this way but here is a sign of my madness: it matters MORE to be to be ABLE to create pictures than to ACTUALLY CREATE THEM. Why? There is a deep-seated security with knowing how and being able to do this. ACTUALLY doing this becomes subordinate. Thus, I have no 'gallery' or amazing number of finished prints, but... I KNOW HOW AND HAVE THE MATERIALS TO BE ABLE TO.

Reading that back, I am the first to admit that that seems, in more prudent objective terms, rather sick, or at least 'dangerously esoteric'. Why? Why do I feel such a sense of security with film and chemicals and cameras and lenses? I think that it is the ability to capture a slice of time and that absolutely amazes me. Recordings and old movies do the same. When I listen to classical music recordings I have to know the year it was recorded because each and every era imparts a type of 'personality' to me. A recording of the Beethoven Fifth in the early fifties is usually quite different from one done in the late 70s. I am far more interested in the past than in the future.

When I was growing up it was batteries: I would make battery operated contraptions that did little useful, but the fact that I had batteries to run the light bulbs and motors meant everything to me !!! My batteries were my hoard of gold. In my teen years it was transistor radios that gave security to me. My ability to hear 'out there' and do so without others being made aware gave me a private cache of 'wealth'. But, the strongest by far, is the analog photography.

That said, I sincerely do not feel that it is dangerously dominating my life: I buy ONLY for a price such that I could get back if I sold outright. But, beware, I can happily spend hours reading and re-reading formulae and never get tired of doing such de facto nonsense!

lighwisps: at least your 'funk' got me to open up to myself. Thanks. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 08-04-2013 at 12:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    ... it matters MORE to be to be ABLE to create pictures than to ACTUALLY CREATE THEM.
    This makes absolutely no sense to me. You either make images, or you don't. Having the ability to do something is not actually doing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, but they feel quilty for it later.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    eddie: it DOES make sense to me to BE ABLE more than ACTUALLY MAKE. I cannot find fault with your logic but I know how I feel and that does not lie. - David Lyga

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin