Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,559   Online: 1109

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Lots of people kid themselves and say they can , the proof is in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    eddie: it DOES make sense to me to BE ABLE more than ACTUALLY MAKE. I cannot find fault with your logic but I know how I feel and that does not lie. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eddie: it DOES make sense to me to BE ABLE more than ACTUALLY MAKE.
    Statements like this remind me of the Steven Wright joke:
    "I've been doing abstract painting, lately. Very abstract. I just think about it."

People who are more interested in thinking about doing something, rather than doing it, are theorists/philosophers, not artist/creators.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I heard it said once "we judge ourselves by what we perceive we are capable of doing, others judge us by what we have done".

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    good one

Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    I heard it said once "we judge ourselves by what we perceive we are capable of doing, others judge us by what we have done".

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Very interesting post,who would have thunk there is a twin out there.

I am starting to do exactly the same thing with my work, how are you storing the prints , what editions are you doing, and do you have a web site to sell the work?
    I am also at a stage where I am exposing more film than I ever have and trying to keep up is a big undertaking but the experience is overwhelmingly positive.
    The biggest hurdle for me is archiving the work well so at a moments notice I can find each image to show people. I have bought storage racks for home that are very sturdy and I have been till now using the grey storage boxes, but very open to hear how you plan to archive and modify my system.
    I have just started and to this point have one or two AP 's of every image, but now at a stage where I want to print every free moment I have.
    My wife is exactly the same way so I am really lucky to have this partner.

I would love to see some of your prints as you are doing exactly what I think each and every photographer should do, good luck over the next 10 years.
    Being stubborn and hardworking are IMO the most important attributes to becoming a great printmaker.
    Hi Bob!

Well, you're the printing God around here. I always follow what you have to say about printing. I don't see myself as a master printer but more as a guy that has to go through all the negs the best he can.

I'm starting to have a very impressive stash of prints and I'm at the point where storing them is problematic. For now, all I'm doing is store about 20 prints in the Black plastic bag that the paper comes in. I seal the bag with a good quality tape and I stick a Label on it ("Miami 2004", "Paris 2007" and so on). I pile up the bags in a corner of a small room I have dedicated to my prints.
    My only concern is the archival quality of the Bags themselves. I hope they're ok!

My wife is very cool with my mandatory printing sessions although we have two young kids. But she knows that I am inflexible when it comes to my photography: It's a must.

Here are a few of my prints. Obviously, these are pictures of the wet prints while I squeegee'd them. They range from 20x24 to 11x14. The quality is nowehre near the prints thanks to the Neo lights and the nature of the captures/scans. I hope you like them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I, for one, enjoyed those ten photographs immensely.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    eddie: it DOES make sense to me to BE ABLE more than ACTUALLY MAKE. I cannot find fault with your logic but I know how I feel and that does not lie. - David Lyga
    This reminds me of one famous quote from good old X-Files

The Cigarette Smoking Man: [looking through a rifle sight at Frohike] I can kill you whenever I damn well please. But not today.

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0004871/quotes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    Yes--this is completely understandable to the people who like a challenge. The joy is in the perfecting and mastering of a difficult thing. Once you have results that impress you, then THAT is the joy--the images are secondary.
    This is absurd... You're saying once you make an image that impresses you, the image doesn't matter. Then, what was it that impressed you?

If I read David's post correctly, he said he doesn't need to make photographs, just knowing he can is enough. My question is, how do you know you can do something, unless you actually do it? And, how do you approach "perfecting and mastering" without doing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I occasionally feel like quilting

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    I, for one, enjoyed those ten photographs immensely.

Ken
    Thanks Ken!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin