Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,720   Online: 1025

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Lab in UK/Ireland with not too bad scanning abilities

I fall in love with analog photography one or two years ago.
    I live in Ireland, I sent my negatives to the UK.

To be honest I didn't fall love with the labs I tried. None of them (I tried two labs with my slides) were able to scan slides in proper quality.

I didn't asked for professional service, I admit. I just wanted to have a scan which is share-able on the web.
    But they were not able to scan Velvia, none at all. The projected slide looks beautiful, the colors are very natural. By the first lab Velvia 100 scans were unnaturally red, furthermore obscure and over-saturated at the same time. Velvia 50 was not too bad. I tried a second lab with another roll of Velvia 50. The scan was purple instead of blue, the colors were not even close to the projected colors.

Any recommendations? Should I use Provia instead, or sell all my analog stuff and by a 5D?

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know what labs you tried, but I'm very happy with mine: Snaps Photo Services in Bournemouth.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They don't do slides, but for neg film develop and scan, photo-express in Hull are both good value and good quality.

Shooter
    35mm
    When I shot slides, I used Transpacolor and Peak Imaging, both very good but never perfect as no lab is perfect. Transpacolor were superb at getting a print from a slide, by the way. If either of these are the labs you tried then it is either bad luck or a sign of the times. Try them and then if you are not happy you should buy a Plustek scanner or similar and get control. Scanners are not considered 'analogue' on this site, unfortunately.

For colour neg, I like Photo Express as Mr Rusty says, very very quick and quality is good. Ag are very slow, good quality. Peak are famous for quality but very expensive, especially a CD with P and P. Photoexpress should start doing 120 if not slides, IMO.

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd probably be better off scanning yourself. You can get a good used flatbed for 50EU or less with the original software and you're in business. I scanned Velvia for years and it comes out beautifully.

Here's a couple from my gallery:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=44242
    http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=44242
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Palm Labs in Birmingham for films that are particularly important. If you have concerns, you can phone them and talk to the chap who is dealing with your film. http://www.palmlabs.co.uk/film-proce...ilm-processing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE pcsaba1981]"or sell all my analog stuff and by a 5D?"[/QUOTE] Go and wash your mouth out with ID11

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin