Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,731   Online: 866

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Leicina 8S and Single Frame use , Film availability , CLA

I won above camera from ebay and ı want to switch to submini 1000 single frames from one roll photography. Can I use that first Leicina from 1960 with that purpose ? Any film availability ? Is there any serviceman for it ? It has a Dygon 9mm f:2 lens.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi umut

i am not familiar with that camera ..
    i just googled it
    wow, nice super 8 movie camera !
    as long as you can find super 8mm film and get it processed
    i think you will be OK. here in the states there are a few vendors still
    of 8mm / super 8 film, but i am not sure about in istanbul ...
    i know of someone locally who repairs regular olde 8mm movie cameras
    but i am not sure if he works on anything as exotic as this ...
    maybe some of the local repair places near you would be able to help you better ?

sorry for not being much help,
    but i am sure that thing will make beautiful images once you get the logistics of
    film and processing worked out, i loved my bolex 8mm (never had the luxury of super8 )
    i still toy with the idea of getting one, but there aren't many places to process the film here in the states ...

have fun with your new toy !
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi John ,

I am happy you are well and thank you very very much for clearing my mind a little bit. How can you understand it is a super 8 camera ? If you dont order scan of these films and able to shoot one by one , it is one of the cheapest hobbies in film photography ? Last night , I registered in a 8mm forum but they say I need to wait 48 hours whether moderator like my name. You had been posted your kodachrome frames with your bolex and I did not see such a thing in my life , püre colors , wow ! There are many films at Kodak website. Its so hot , writing is difficult.
    Let me return to Google and learn the terminology and film processing fees. May be there is velvia for it ?

Take care all ,

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I learned that camera made latest in 1962 or 1960. Super 8 film introduced in 1965. Where can I find that old film and processing from ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi umut

i am not familiar with that camera ..
    i just googled it
    wow, nice super 8 movie camera !
    John, Google with care. Leitz made regular 8 mm (8/8) Leicinas and Super 8 Leicinas. You found one of the latter. AFAIK, there were two S8 models, Special and Super.

Our boy has bought, at least two years after he announced he was going to do it right away, an earlier 8/8 Leicina.

8/8 enthusiasts have said good things about their Leicinas. I once bought one, an 8 SV with a 7.5-35 Angenieux zoom, for a paperweight. It was pretty and the price was very right. Little paperweight helped me understand why Leitz had such difficulty coming up with a modern SLR. No one there understood or was reconciled to electricity.

Most amateur cine cameras have rotating sector shutters. So do Leicinas. The 8/8 Leicina's shutter is attached to the main shaft, the claw and takeup spool were geared to it. Fine, wonderful, that's the standard way of keeping all the moving parts synchronized.

One of the problems that cine camera designers have to solve is making sure that the camera always stops with the shutter closed. Leitz solved it for 8/8 Leicinas by separating the electric drive system from the trigger and stop mechanism. 8/8 Leicinas have a slot in the main shaft that is engaged by a pawl connected to the trigger. Press the trigger, the pawl retracts and the main shaft is free to turn. Release the trigger, the pawl extends, forces its way into the slot and everything stops. All mechanical.

The electric motor that turns the main shaft is powered as long as the main power switch is on. When the power is on and the trigger is released, the electric motor is stalled. That's why the things eat batteries. That's why the wise Leicina (8/8 flavor, I hope the S8s are better) user turns the power off between shots.

I believe -- could be mistaken -- that the original Leicina was designed for a clockwork motor and that when the great geniuses at Leitz realized that the market insisted on electric drive (damned Japanese!) they bodged an electric motor into the design they already had.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can try it over here:

http://www.kahlfilm.de/content.php?nav=7

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Dan and Albert ,

I found FOMA still sell these films for 10 Euro. Kahlfilm is a german site and I will translate later.

Dan , Can you please tell me that can I take single frame with this camera. By the way thank you for investing time to explain the mechanism.

Thank you,
    Umut

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi. If the camera is a Leicina 8s, then it is the first model and uses Standard 8 film. This is also known as Regular 8, or Double 8 as it goes through the camera twice and is slit lengthways and spliced after processing. If you look inside, you should see an empty reel which is the take-up spool. The battery holder can cause problems. It takes 4 AA cells, but modern AAs like Duracell are too fat to fit properly. You might need to try different brands, or strip the plastic covering off the cells. There is also a small cell for the meter. I cannot recall which type. I think there are two cable release sockets, and I'm sure one is for single frame. There is a back wind facility which is useful for film making. As well as the 9mm lens, you can get a 6.25 and a 36. These are really converters, and the camera can be used without one attached with a focal length of 15mm or thereby. There is a German company supplying Standard 8 film. I think they are called Wittner. Alex

Shooter
    35mm
    I have looked at one of my Leicinas. The lens converter is removed by pushing the silver button next to it. When replacing, line up the small peg on the lens with the hole at 12o'clock position. The film speed is set on the 'eye' below the lens. The film and motor covers slide off once unlocked. The black button under the handle is back wind. Hold it in, then press the thumb trigger to reverse the motor. The white plastic bit at the back rotates to the left and is a forehead rest! The two cable release sockets are on top. I think red is single frame. If it has a strap on it, the markings are for measuring close focus distance. They are either 3, or 4 inch spaces. There is a film indicator in the viewfinder to tell you when film is finished. I hope you enjoy using it. Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Alex,

Thank you very much for explaining the camera mechanism. Camera seller was selling only to EU and I gave him my sisters address in Paris.
    Camera sold from Netherlands , shipped from Poland to Paris to Istanbul. I think it will travel all the Europe. I think when camera reached to me next month , your description would be meaningful to me , I will reread and understand.

By the way , it is great to hear it can single frame. I looked to Alberts link and bw film is 7.5 Euro , damm , my photography adventure will continue again.
    I want to ask another question , how do you load the camera , dark or daylight ?

Thank you ,

Umut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin