Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,236   Online: 1081

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I am also living proof that doing nothing at all results in perfectly fine negatives.

Disclaimer: I use a drying cabinet and do not mess with it after I hang it. However, before that, I used the bathroom and had no issues either.

How do you expect removing excess moisture is going to protect you against cat hair or dust in the air though? The film is saturated with moisture and will be tacky until it isn't tacky. The surface water, which is gravity drawn, isn't going to massively change the equation when it comes to the core removal of moisture from the film. Even if you used a completely lint-free cloth, wiped off all excess moisture (ignoring the possibility of scratches), any dust that shows up is still going to adhere.
    All theory aside, your method does not work for me.

This thing of drying film is one of finding what works for us as individuals. Your method works for you. My method works for me.

I'm not here to fix a problem I do not have. I'm very pleased with my method. It's bullet proof.

I am here to impart a method that MIGHT work for somebody else that's having problems, AND to let people know that it is not the end of the world to touch a wet emulsion.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of those portable closet things made of PVC and plastic that my wife had when she moved in, from Ikea, that I use to hang film in. Cheap and at least keeps the bulk of air circulation and thus dust down. No problems with dust on drying film.

But I get water marks if I don't wipe off the excess. I've tried it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Great minds think alike.
    I too have done the Photoflo on fingers thing for as long as I can remember with no adverse results - if the wash water, fingers and the Photoflo solution are clean how can there be scratches? OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I have never ever seen anyone recommend using a squeegee, in fact quite the opposite. My question is, why were they ever manufactured or when was their use ever advocated?
    Beats the $#!+ out of me, I use PhotoFlo and never needed one.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    I too have done the Photoflo on fingers thing for as long as I can remember with no adverse results - if the wash water, fingers and the Photoflo solution are clean how can there be scratches? OzJohn
    And to throw another method out there -- the method we teach/use at the university for the past 35 years I have personally experienced -- and probably the twenty years before that:

Mix a gallon of photo-flo in a SS bucket (don't worry if it is a little too dilute). Remove film from reel. See-saw film thru the photo-flo for a minute. Wipe excess off between clean fingers. Hang in the film drier.

Replace photo-flo every few days when it starts to get cloudy.

We have up to 125 photo students per semester using the same bucket of photo-flo.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Mix a gallon of photo-flo in a SS bucket (don't worry if it is a little too dilute). Remove film from reel. See-saw film thru the photo-flo for a minute. Wipe excess off between clean fingers. Hang in the film drier.
    Sounds like darkroom rats at The Daily Tabloid in 1947...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    But I get water marks if I don't wipe off the excess. I've tried it.
    Distilled water?

Thomas I agree with what you're saying. What I'm trying to say is that its usually the simpler one makes it the more successful the results. I don't have cats so I don't have to account for random animal detrius causing a problem.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Went to find the correct spelling of Schrödinger's cat and found the wiki page had been vandalized... fixed that.

Now what were we talking about...

If you hang film in a drying cabinet in a room shared with a cat... Do your negatives have hair on them before you hang them up?

I used to get scratches when I squeegeed. So I stopped. I got so paranoid, I blamed the pressure plate of my camera (absurd! that can only scratch the base!) I blamed the felt strip on the re-used film cassette (I threw them all out!), and I threw out my sponge and soft rubber squeegees... And I stopped using the two-fingers method as well.

Honestly the step I believe led to cleanest negs was using filtered water and Photo Flo for the final rinse (instead of tapwater and Photo Flo which would give me residue).

Thomas, I understand with soft sponge, great care and soft windshield-wiper squeegee you get clean negs every time. I believe you, and I believe it is due to your great care. And the less time negs spend hanging wet, the less time something floating in the air has to stick and bond with the emulsion. Any dust and hair that lands after the film is dry can be easily blown off.

I could scientifically begin to introduce squeegee to my methods and see if it would change anything. Probably should add hardener to my fix first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It became obvious to me less than halfway through this thread (yes, it takes me a while some days) that everyone finds their own way. Mine is to soak in a wetting agent, anything that reduces the surface tension of water without leaving its own residue works fine, and the cleaner the water, the better, then snapping the film like a whip two or three times, finally hanging it to dry in the most dust free room I can find. What I don't understand is why sometimes my film dries flat, and sometimes it cups. Anyone...?
    Last edited by KennyMark; 08-19-2013 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling like an idiot tonight
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Curl depends a great deal on ambient humidity so will vary with the weather.

And yes I mix my photo Flo with distilled water, at half strength and still get steaks if I don't gently wipe it. I get streaks even if I do wipe it if I mix full strength by the directions.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin