Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,367   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Sekonic 308 series are worth considering.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The Sekonic 308 series are worth considering.
    +1
    I have one. Small and light, cheap (I think), easy to use, and can meter flash too. I also have a Minolte spotmeter which get some use but not as much.
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am amazed at how rapidly the collective memory totally forgets about a line of products which once held the enviable position of 'choice of pros' and 'choice of enthusiasts' alike! MINOLTA. Sekonic was a poor #2 'we try harder' product line in comparison with Minolta back in the 1990's, especially since the Sekonic products of the time had a rather quirky way of displaying the fractional f/stop exposures...something which they did not fix until after Minolta stopped making meters.

The enthusiasts (and many pros) chose the Minolta Autometer line, while those with lots of money might select the Minolta Flashmeter line. And the Minolta Spotmeter F was a one-degree spot-/flashmeter. All three lines could meter flash.
    The last of the line was the Minolta Autometer V, and the Flashmeter VI. Both meters are now offered (with different model designations) as Kenko meters. I would not hesistate to recomment the Autometer IV or V, or the Flashmeter V or Vi, or the Spotmeter F, or the current Kenko products.
    Last edited by wiltw; 09-04-2013 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I go for the concept of reading:
    any Gossen model with that zero-adjust needle and +/- scale.
    As you can "place" the metered luminance on a exposure scale (like: white skin=+1)

cave: the Mastersix (with its digital scale, though similar to the needle-model Profisix) does not allow this placing.

Disadvantage: bulky due to 7O's technology, even without attachments

Shooter
    Multi Format

Watch that cell/battery.

Just be careful if you are considering an older used meter that you determine what sort of cell/battery it uses. For example, mercury cells were favored in the past for exposure meters, both hand held and in cameras because they maintained their voltage pretty constant throughout their life, unlike alkaline or silver oxide cells. However ... mercury cells can no longer be sold, at least legally. Some otherwise "legal" cells/batteries may be very difficult to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GRHazelton View Post
    Just be careful if you are considering an older used meter that you determine what sort of cell/battery it uses. For example, mercury cells were favored in the past for exposure meters, both hand held and in cameras because they maintained their voltage pretty constant throughout their life, unlike alkaline or silver oxide cells. However ... mercury cells can no longer be sold, at least legally. Some otherwise "legal" cells/batteries may be very difficult to find.
    This is correct, but if you find a meter you like that has this problem, there often are adapters available (at a cost) to deal with it.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To me it sounds like you are after an incident + spot metering. Most of these meters will be able to handle flash.
    Something like Sekonic L-358 with spot metering attachment should do. Depending on condition you should be able to get it for around $200-250 (without the attachment).

Another more bulky option would be something like a minolta meter + pentax spot meter. But that will add a lot of bulk having 2 meters around.

Another option is Sekonic L-508, L-608 or L-558 (it's pretty much the same as the latest L-758).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote would go for a Minolta Spotmeter F, takes a single AA battery does ambient and flash and can be picked up occasionally for a song, I bought one around Christmas time off ebay for £100 ($150ish). I rarely use my L758D now.

Shooter
    35mm
    All my good meters have been Minolta. I started with the flashmeter II and then flashmeter III and add the spotmeter M for spot. Now I have a flashmeter VI for all. However, in recent years most people would buy a new Sekonic (if buy new) and many would want a Gossen Luna Pro or something if buying used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like my minolta flashmeter IV. It's kinda big though and clashes with my anachronistic camera equipment with it's LCD display and buttons. So I also have a little light sekonic L208 which is a little bit retro despite the plastic. It's not heavy like the old retro lightmeters that you could swing around on their cord and hurl at goliath with deadly mass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin