Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,956   Online: 714

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A few Samples

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a web-site (never much liked flickr) I direct people to if they want to see some of my photographs. APUG galleries see my work first though. I value the feedback I get from the other subscribers. I fly an idea, or post not- quite-right prints, and know I'll get some thoughtful responses.

Anybody who visits APUG more than a handful of times a year should cough up a subscription. It is CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP! for the immense amounts of information, amusement and support.

If you can't afford a subscription, I wonder how you can afford photography? It is not, as a wise man said, for the faint of wallet.

Shooter
    Medium Format

didn't mean to start something..

OK.. If I want to show my friends and family my images this is what there faced with on APUG gallery:

You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. You are trying to view the APUG Gallery (which for bandwidth & performance reasons is only open to subscribers), you must be a subscriber. [COLOR=#444444]click here for details. [/COLOR]
    3. If you are trying to post a classified ad, you may be using an old link try clicking "Classifieds" in the main menu bar instead. Also, you must be a subscriber to post ads. [COLOR=#444444]click here for details. [/COLOR]
    4. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

[COLOR=#444444]Log Out[/COLOR] [COLOR=#444444]Home[/COLOR]

Flikr is an easier way to show SOME not all my work to folks. Does this make sence? I don't put anything on there there that I don't want snipped.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It makes the members like us who are subscribers Rick look like idiots, I've been retired for nine years and still manage pay my dues.
    I have been on disability for nine years, and this is well worth spending a miniscule portion of my meager income on. I also have a flickr account, and don't trust it, but trust the galleries here implicitly.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anything online can be stolen or misused. Don't trust anyone if that's a concern for you.

Despite the changes flickr made that I'm really upset about, it is still a good place to put some photos you want to share. I use it to put up images that I use at LFPF or share with friends. If you use descriptions and tags, you can also learn a lot how other people use a piece of equipment, developer, film, location, camera, etc... I like following other photographers with related artistic interests as well. It's a big dose of creativity anytime I feel like it.

This is still a good place to financially support even if you don't put up photos. It's probably less $ than a tv channel you like if it were possible to buy channels al le carte.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Understood guys... I'll spring for an official membership here eventually. I have Flikr tied into my website. I have to appeal to the masses. As good as the scans are.. It still doesn't hold a candle to print from neg to fiber base paper.

ToddB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I have to appeal to the masses.
    At least you have a good handle and perspective on your appeal as an artist...
    "Once the amateur's naive approach and humble willingness to learn fades away, the creative spirit of good photography dies with it. Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur." - Alfred Eisenstadt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    "didn't mean to start something.."
    I think a lot of the members here, especially the paying subscribers, seem to recognize the enormously unique nature of this site in a world drowning in that other technology and so become very protective of both APUG and, by extension, its creator Sean as well.

Some of the subscribers even voluntarily pay far more than the very modest yearly subscription rate because of that very recognition. And a desire to keep this place alive.

Not saying you need to be like them. Just saying that may be part of the reasons why you're seeing such a reaction.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-05-2013 at 08:46 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Hideous grammer, Mrs. Kerr would kill me...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I completely understand.. I didnt mean to upset anyone.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be clear ...

No one minds it if you want to use flikr because of its advantages.

We get a bit grumpy if you are trying to benefit from the advantages of APUG subscription (including image critique from APUG subscribers) without paying the small fee.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's to stop people posting links to their digital pictures on any of the photo shareing sites on A.P.U.G.?,
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin