Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,140   Online: 907

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Backpack inserts for camera gear?

Hello folks,
    I am not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to ask this, but anyway..

I have an older Tamrac expedition backpack which is good for organizing my camera gear but the back-system is truly awful. I've been thinking, whether there is any option to buy some sort of "inner case" with dividers to be used in front-loading mid-size (around 30-40litres) hiking backpack - I find those much easier to carry around.

After some ebay-searching I have found countless inserts for shoulderbags/messenger style bags but nothing really to fit a regular backpack.

(As for the gear - I need to carry a Bronica SQ with an additional lens or two, sometimes a rolleicord as well, and the usual paraphernalia - meter, few filters, spare film...)

Thanks for any ideas!

A.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Large Format
    Take a look at inserts for Pelican cases. Note sure they will work for you, but they are large eough for some larger packs. You can probably find them on Ebay.
    Keith Pitman
    Photographer
    www.keithpitman.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Tamrac #787 backpack that is 14 years old that has adjustable inserts and has adjustable backpack features it is quite comfortable and can hold two MF cameras several lenses and other accessories as well as 20 rolls of film and a folded shell jacket. It fits in the overhead compartments.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same here as Iloyd, if you carry heavy go with F Stop Gear, great system with great features.
    Either use there inserts in your own backpack or go with a rucksack, I use a Tilopa BC ( http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/tilopa-bc ) when i head to the mountains (skiing/climbing) and its a very good camera bag and an ok mountaineering one.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like my fstop gear bag, which I use for the DSLR. I also like my setup for my large format gear from http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.php. Photobackpacker now has a system for SLRs and medium format gear, but I haven't used the new insert, so I can't recommend it, but I can certainly recommend the company.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a fstop Satori and have friends using all other models as well. Great packs! Unfortunately all its models come with one-size only. It would be perfect if they can offer multiple sizes.

I am using its medium size ICU to carry my Bronica ETRSi system, one body, 4 lens (40, 75, 135, 250), 2 backs, spot meter and all the filters I need. It is hard to believes how much it can carry until you try it out. It works best with its own backpacks as you don't have to take the ICU out every time, making shooting process more easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all! The F-Stop ICU look pretty good!
    I am rather tall (only a few cm shy of 2m) so finding a fitting backpack is not that easy - I usually carry around a 38l Deuter trekking backpack in longer version - I don't remember the name of the pack - but it is very comfortable for my long back. I think the medium or even the large ICU would fit perfectly!

(With larger backpacks it get's a bit easier - for my 8x10 my wife sew a simple "case" that I can put in a 60/70 litre front loading backpack, add couple of holders, a lens or two, the meter, loupe and all in the top pocket and go.. but not that far, obviously )
    | website | ipernity thing |

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin