Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 728

Shooter
    35mm

Series V filters - slight haze

I picked up some Kodak Series V filters today in their cases for next to nothing and after cleaning them up noticed that if I shine a bright LED flashlight through several of them I see a slight haze covering about 2/3 of the filter from the center out. There isn't any separation that I can tell. I typically use the flashlight to check my cleaning job on filters and such. Just to hold them up to a normal light from across the room I don't notice it. It takes that bright light to really see it well, but the sun was down by the time I was done cleaning so I didn't get a chance to look at them outside in the sun. Just wondered if this would have much of an effect on the end result or not? I shot an outdoor auto show a couple of weeks ago and hadn't noticed that my sweaty arm had smeared the front of the lens with no major ill effects that I could tell on the negatives

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can test for flare by measuring the film density obtained when something like a coffee can painted black on the inside, is placed in the field of view of a typical scene; high contrast or low contrast. You may indeed find for a low contrast scene, the haze on your filter has minimal effect. Whereas you may or may-not find increased 'black coffeecan' density with the filter in place during the high scene contrast test. Only testing can tell for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a lens hood and erase your memory of the haze... that slight haze will likely make no difference at all except if shooting directly into the sun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a series V yellow #8 with some visible haze as you describe and can't say I've noticed any difference at all because of it. I expect the kind of conditions which would cause a problem are the sort which would have my old Yashica TLR veiling and flaring all by itself anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone. I'll give them a go to see if any I'll effects show up. Just figured I'd check with everyone else's experiences before I went and wasted film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't most Series filters a gel sandwiched between glass?

I've got Harrison's that are like that.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin