Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,460   Online: 920

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Malfunctioning Seal 160M dry mount press

My dry mount press has decided to be very bad. I just wanted to flatten some fiber prints today so I fired it up. Seems that maybe the thermostat has given up the ghost. The temp selector knob was in its normal place and I thought every thing was fine. I put the print in and lowered the platen down and within a minute burned the print to a crispy critter. Now I restarted the press and the thermometer showed 350F It was set at 225F. Huge difference. Is my thermostat blown and if so, does anyone know where I can get a new one. It also toasted the fabric on the cushion underneath. I am really bummed because I take excellent care of my equipment and now this. Any suggestions would be more than welcome. Thanks, Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may have just stuck after not being moved for a while, but I would lay odds on burned switch contacts.

If you are mechanically handy, pull the control panel section on top apart, and check to see if the bimetallic has given up the ghost ( unlikely) or if the small limit switch actuated by the bimetallic popping at the set temp is the failed part.

The heaters are a pretty big load with a heavy draw when they first fire from being cold.
    Oer time the contacts can arc on break and then the silver plating can wear away. Then the underneath copper or brass is susceptible to fusing on the break arc.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Contact burnishers are a bygone era thing perhaps. Along with files to clean up distributor points for your car. Very fine oxide paper (non conductive grit) and pull a slender strip through the closed points. Maybe sure baby is unplugged.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the big brother of yours but the controls are the same. Just open her up clean the contacts as recommended above.

Also the thermostat can be recalibrated. I did mine using a laser thermometer. Once the temp reaches your desired amt turn the screw responsabe for the bimetal to shut the heater off. Back it off till the neon light goes off.

From now on when you set the dial to that temp, you will be sure it will be correct. Just be aware most of these type bimetal thermos are never accurate so be sure to chehk the temp regardless.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin