Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,801   Online: 976

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My biggest regret is that where I live, it isn't easy to sell your regrets . I had to give away my digital system (2 bodies, lenses, flashes) as it just wasn't being used and I didn't want it to break so I gave it to someone who needed it a lot more than I did.

For me, I came to the conclusion last year that photography is my hobby, and it gives me the most joy other than family and friends, so I don't need to justify spending on it once I can afford it (buying something and affording something is 2 different things). I gladly make a lot of personal sacrifices to support my lifestyle, and though my camera collection is only 3 cameras (4x5, 6x7, 35) - all of which were bargain basement prices when I got them; I do spend a lot more money on props, lighting, grip, film and processing than on cameras (thankfully I have all the lights and grips that I need, but film and processing costs will unfortunately keep rising).

Some people spend money traveling, some on clothes, some on gambling, some on drugs, some on their cars, some on their houses and we choose to spend ours on photography; as long as you can meet your obligations and no part of your life is suffering because of it, and you enjoy it, then there is no reason to feel guilty about anything. Life is just too damn short for that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I could afford it I had no problem accumulating all sorts of gear, including multiple bodies of one model that I really enjoy using. Especially when they're going for fire-sale prices. Now that money is more of an issue for me I've been selling off gear that I don't use, with further whittling down to come. I've decided there are some EOS bodies I simply can NOT do without (RT, 7NE, 1V), the Contax gear is staying with me come hell or high water, and the FD gear will never go on the block because I have so many really fine lenses.

I can't bring myself to sell off the Minolta gear because I really love the XD-11, though I haven't used any of it for a few years. I've shot one roll through my RB in the last year, and it should go, but I really want to give it a good workout first. I haven't used the Pro TL for quite a while, though I don't know why not; it's a great system, and if I had to keep only one system I'm afraid that'd be the one.

I did manage to sell my Nikon gear a few years ago, but reacquired an N80 recently because I missed it and I really LIKE that camera. I also managed to donate about 2/3 of my P&S collection, but have kept far too many and need to do some further weeding.

But I've sure enjoyed trying out all the different gear, even if it has cost me more than it's been worth.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Depending on how the F performs when it arrives next week, I may not be buying any more in the way of bodies. I've a decent condition F5, a pretty nice F4 that's coming back to roost, a real clean F3P, and a decent condition F2AS. A year or two ago, I started rotating bodies. Shoot one for a week or two, then go to the next one, do the same, and just keep going that way. Prevents each body from sitting on a shelf for too long. I've also come to the realization that I don't need to spend cash on Nikkormats (as good of a camera as they are - I just don't need a bunch of them for $60) or other lower end bodies, now that I have pretty much what I want. I will, however, continue to work on the glass arsenal, picking up deals along the way (like the 35/2 Nikkor-O that I got for $40 shipped, or the 300/4.5 EDIF AIS that I'm picking up for $58, etc)...

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Depending on how the F performs when it arrives next week, I may not be buying any more in the way of bodies.

-J
    John:
    Shall we keep track, and quote this back to you in the future ?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some wonderful gear but over the years I have accumulated too much. Except for my Pentax K1000 and Minolta SRT 102, if it doesn't say Zeiss, Ansco, Agfa or Voigtlander on it somewhere it is going. That Pentax and Minolta, along with two or three select lenses, have too much history to go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Matt, of course. I will give prior warning to any mention, as well. ;-P

-J
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F Depending on how the F performs when it arrives next week, I may not be buying any more in the way of bodies.

-J
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    John:
    Shall we keep track, and quote this back to you in the future ?
    I'm thinking of using it as my sig here.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatulent1 View Post
    I'm thinking of using it as my sig here.
    Go for it. ;-P

-J

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you looking to take pictures or looking to play with different camera bodies. Although they aren't mutually exclusive, it definitely is cheaper to pic one or the other. I currently own 7 cameras after playing with probably close to 30. At this point though, I just want to take pictures and be consistent, so I've settled on what I have and am focusing on my images more than gear. It's quite liberating and I spend a lot less time on the web play shopping.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    Depending on how the F performs when it arrives next week, I may not be buying any more in the way of bodies.
    When pigs fly. We heard that from you before.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin