Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,533   Online: 1034

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Bought Bolex C8 Kern Paillard 8mm camera for photography

After not working Leicina adventure , I bought Bolex Kern Paillard C8 8 mm camera from Germany for photography. Its in excellent shape and used few times ,like new. I have no lens yet but I will buy one next month.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    have fun with that umut !
    what a great camera

be advised that it can be kind of tricky exposing film ..
    cine film is chrome film, so over exposing gives a thin image

and also be advised that d mount lenses ( and others ) the focus
    and aperture are the same, so it might be trial and error until you
    get the focus AND exposure to jive with what you expect ...

i miss my h8 and b8!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you John , I was thinking to send you an pm but its better to talk here. I watched an youtube video and I loved , fallen love to that camera , it was a color movie and girl was colorful than any other Leica shots than I have ever seen. And the edges of the face , cheeks and nose like glowing. I liked the effect very much. Lenses are more expensive than the camera ! But I am not in hurry and can wait couple of months. Is camera an super 8 ? I love the 50s orange , orange black , burned or glowing orange skin tones extremelly much.

How do you focus that camera , is there an viewfinder ? I can do with scale also . Is there a light meter on the camera. I did not understand aperture and focus same ?

Take care,
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi umut

no, you need a light meter, not to worry, even cheap seckonic meters have a "cine" reading, you should be OK.
    the camera is a double-8 mm camera meaning it takes 16mm film that you run the the camera 2x
    one way, then the other ... ( to expose both sides ) when you send it to be processed they will slice it down the middle
    and splice the 2 ends together like they are supposed to. what i meant by the focus and aperture are the same ...
    ( at least with the ones i had ? ) the distances and fstops were the same so as you opened up the lens you changed the focus
    and when you stopped down the lens you changed the stop ... in other words, there wasn't a separate aperture ring, it was just the focus.
    maybe the lenses i was using were "different" than what people usually use (yvar + switar ) or i was totally clueless ( could be )
    ... it was kind of trick sometimes .. but it all worked out in the end ...

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi John,

I am happy you are well , when you are coming here to drink Turkish coffee ? If you needed hookah - nargile-, I can send it to you
    I will buy a yvar next month , it goes for 24 dollars or so .
    Can I use modern Kodak films with this camera , if not is there a manufacturer for double 8 color film ? Or do I need to buy old film ?

Thanks,
    Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Currently, the only manufacturer that I know of still producing this type of 8mm film is Foma...This is a great camera! I have never really used an 8mm for still photography. It sounds like an interesting use! Here is a link to the B&H Website where you can find it. It looks like it is out of stock at the moment: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ndard.html...I am thinking that you would get somewhere in the ballpark of maybe 2,700 still frames on a roll...If my calculations are right.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    2700 frames , wow , I was thinking 1000 or 1500 but 2700 is way too much. But If I take 150 or so a day , I can cause the same expense with 35mm camera. Is there a scanning and developing lab for that film ? I think its called telecine , what is the one frame jpeg file size ?
    Can they put 2700 different files in to a dvd ? Is that special order thing or an simple thing ?

I want color with these cameras too much , is there any refrigirated color film sellers for these cameras ?

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    John ,

I looked to Dwaynes and there is color wittnerchrome
    100 d film for regular 8. Price............................................. ......... 25 dollars
    shipment to me................................................ ........................ 25 dollars ,
    taking............................................ ........................................ 2700 shots takes 3 months ,
    than sending back to dwaynes costs ...........................................15 dollars ,
    development....................................... .................................... 25 dollars ,
    shipment back to me................................................ ................ 25 dollars

Only film and development costs............................................. .. 115 dollars.
    Give telecine another .................................................. ..............50 dollars
    .................................................. .................................. total 165 dollars.

36 exposure 35mm film is .................................................. ...........5 dollars. here
    development....................................... .......................................5 dollars
    scanning and cd................................................ ..........................5 dollars
    For............................................... ........................................... 165 dollars ,
    .................................................. ..........................you can buy 13 rolls makes 400 frames

regular color film trading is suicide for me. Its very expensive investment

But if I develop my own film and scan the best ones by myself , cost 1/100 with bw

umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 10-17-2013 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    the still picture shutter speed can only be used with a cable release and it is 1/17 sec at the 8fps speed and 1/25 second at all other speed settings for the standard c8 with fixed (not variable) shutter
    John, thank you for very important detail.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I bought Lens Paillard 13mm f :1.9 Yvar AR D Mount for C8.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin