Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,567   Posts: 1,573,482   Online: 747

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    White lab coat from my university days, (kinda neutral grey now).

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nitrile gloves for developing film and mixing chemistry. Tongs for printing. No other safety gear.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm mostly a jeans and T-shirt/sweatshirt girl anyway, so I have a few pairs of jeans that are less publicly presentable than others (mainly holes in the knees, not revealing ones). Those are the ones I wear for darkroom use and hiking. I tend to wear dark shirts that I don't care as much about as well. I've discovered that anything light colored is more likely to attract stains (and there's the chance of reflecting more light from the enlarger back onto the print during exposure). I've occasionally worn an apron or lab coat, but that's mostly when I do Mordançage. No glasses, no goggles - they obscure my vision and I'm very careful about not having airborne chemicals. As I age, my vision is getting slightly worse, so this will likely change in the next few years. I do have a tendency to wipe my hands on my pants, so I prefer denim as it's pretty hardy and more protective than many fabrics (what I wore at the lab, too).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a light weight apron (plastic?) when mixing chemicals to avoid stains. They use to sell these for darkroom use, check around. If I needed eye protection, I would done safety goggles if needed but don't think it is needed for most prepackaged chemicals.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    rubber apron
    vapor mask ( the one with the canisters on the sides )
    latex gloves
    and sometimes goggles ..

the mask because in college i didn't want to get too fumed-out in a small darkroom
    huffing etherfumes and rubber cement isn't much fun ...
    latex gloves mainly because i stick my hands in the soup often, and don't want my soft skin to be abused ...

Nitrile gloves when developing film in Pyro developers (whether tray processing sheet film or roll film in stainless tanks), tongs for prints in trays. I usually wear a plastic apron and old clothes. I now buy all my developers as pre-mixed concentrates, but when I mixed PMK from dry chemicals I wore a dusk mask and worked in an open garage. Long gone are the days when I stuck my hands into the film or print developer. I've known a few people who have suffered from photographic chemical allergies, and I want to be able to work in the darkroom for as long as I possibly can.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Latex rubber all-in-one catsuit and a gasmask.

Not because of the chemicals, mind you, I'm just a perve...
    Reminds me of an old girlfriend

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My main concern is working with pyro or mixing chemicals. I wear nitrile gloves, long sleeve shirt, Freestyle apron, and eyeglasses (in the dark) to prevent errant splashes when developing film. In general, I wear the apron, which is not strictly necessary except when processing very large prints (but makes me feel like a real photographer), and running shoes for support for normal enlarging and developing activities. OTOH, I load LF film holders while completely naked* – to protect the film!

All seriousness aside, keeping a clean and organized workspace may be the best policy in promoting safety.

* Just kidding, I wear shoes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use latex gloves constantly in the darkroom. Keeps fingerprints off of things and saves my skin when I wash my hands 10000 times.

I keep safety glasses and a lab coat on hand for mixing/pouring large batches of chemistry (5L C-41 kits and the like).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear old cloths - jeans and t-shirt, when developing. I have some Pyrocat HD I've not cracked open yet, and I will use rubber gloves when I finally decide to experiment with that.
    Truzi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin