Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,997   Online: 882

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Darkroom aprons & safety glasses

Tell me what you have, if any, and why it works for you. T-Shirt & Jeans to the big heavy rubber coated ones, what's your choice and what's your price point?

Safety glasses, shields, slip over's, for those who wear glasses what your choice there. A splash of acetone on plastic lenses could ruin a nice day, not to mention the eye? For those who don't wear glasses do you wear goggles etc.?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Old(ish) clothes so if they get splashed it doesn't really matter, and although I wear glasses I don't in the darkroom - they get in the way and I am short sighted anyway. Plus with 50 years working in a darkroom I have never splashed my eyes with any chemical. I have never used acetone in the darkroom at all so that presents no risk.

My workshop is a different matter, Goggles when I am grinding metal or turning wood, Earplugs when I'm doing something noisy and gloves when I am working in the garden or dealing with bricks or cement. Just common sense and what risks I think may be present.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No safety gear other than careful use of my chems and such. I mix powdered chems outside on my back porch, and the chems I use are low/no odor except toners. I do most of my toning outdoors as well. I do however use nitrile gloves when using pyro developers and selenium toning.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shorts, Singlet and barefeet (or flip flops)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    mostly nothing special until I need to mix. Because I do a fair amount of reversals I handle bisulphate,dichromate and sulfuric acid. That brings out the gloves, glasses (to be able to read as well), mask and sometimes the apron.
    Get it right in the camera, the first time... My flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have found that not diving into the trays and splashing around is all the safety measures I have to take. Just wear old jeans and a sweatshirt and use tongs to keep finger prints off everything and keep cross contamination out of the picture works well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Latex rubber all-in-one catsuit and a gasmask.

Not because of the chemicals, mind you, I'm just a perve ...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "a splash of acetone"

Where in darkroom work acetone is used?

(I have handled 1L metal containers of acetone (for surface cleaning) in my DIY workshop in the past without any face protection. Though by becoming presbyoptic at least a most basic eye-protection is know inherent to me... my glasses)

To highten protection I use a pair of safety glasses with a slight rim to go over my standard glasses. I do not use googles with skin cintact, nor do I (yet) use safety glasses with correcting lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Latex gloves and my eyeglasses (to see with and to protect my eyes). If mixing D76, I'll don a bandanna too, although after reading Rick's post I'll start going out on the back porch. Sounds safer. Might even attempt measure it out for one-shot that way. Always wanted to try that. Maybe a dedicated food processor to mix it up well first hand before divving it up into one-shot portions? That would be great having one-shot D76.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    Latex rubber all-in-one catsuit and a gasmask.

Not because of the chemicals, mind you, I'm just a perve ...
    Very sensible but you are neglecting the balaclava with the eyes sewn shut and zippered mouth.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin