Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,193   Online: 847

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OP, Vilk, opinions about the OM system differ. And we're not all equally exacting.

Back when, one of my friends sold his Nikon system (F2 and many Nikkors) and replaced it with an OM (sorry, don't recall which one) and comparable Olympus lenses. Not long afterwards he sold his Oly gear and replaced his Nikon kit. He liked the OM's size and lightness, found that his Olympus lenses weren't up to the Nikkors he'd had.

Re Olympus history and all that, the Pen FT's metering system was not user friendly. It was TTL, stop down IIRC. The meter needle pointed to a number (1 to 7), after that one had to take the camera down from the eye and set the camera's aperture scale to that number. And then one could shoot. Not a good way to work.

Oly's first 24x36 cameras were larger heavier Spotmatic clones with, like the Spotmatic, stop-down metering. When new they were seen as low second tier or high third tier cameras. The better grades of OM were seen, when new, as much superior to their predecessors.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You are badly mistaken. See the silly prices that f/1.4 and f/1.9 Boyer Saphir lenses bring at auction. These are not particularly good lenses.
    c'mon, the first google links are all ebay, that's a clear cult no-no, no salvation on ebay

Shooter
    35mm
    And we're not all equally exacting.
    sure. but when we start talkin' cult, we should be--cults are, you're this (never that) or bust

the nikon cult is much a taurus thing, does the job, bug off. (and they know it)

olympus is kinda gemini--flair, but show me the money

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    c'mon, the first google links are all ebay, that's a clear cult no-no, no salvation on ebay
    For those of us who have the lenses to sell eBay is the path to heaven. For cultists who want them and have the money the keys to the kingdom are available on eBay and, sometimes, from houses such as Westlicht.

I didn't mention fast lenses from TTH, but then some of them really are good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    sure. but when we start talkin' cult, we should be--cults are, you're this (never that) or bust

the nikon cult is much a taurus thing, does the job, bug off. (and they know it)

olympus is kinda gemini--flair, but show me the money

Pardon my ignorance, what is a Gemini? Do you mean the second-rate Isuzu thingy? I never thought they had much flair, even the version breathed on by Lotus.

Nikon cult? I wasn't aware of one. All of the Nikon users I know take the position that their equipment works as expected, is usually long-lived, and what more could one want? They're not at all like the Leicanuts, who seem to believe that the best defense is a strong offense. And they can be offensive. OM cultists are much more polite. I suppose that a true Leicanut would say that an OM cultist has much to be polite about.

I don't think that Ford, at least in the US, has ever made a car in the Nikon class. Honda Accord, even more the Prelude, is probably a better parallel. Competent, reliable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a Gemini?
    long story. zodiac. predestination. tauri pull the cart and dig in, gemini skim the cream and break

Honda Accord, even more the Prelude, is probably a better parallel. Competent, reliable.
    i always thought my F2s were land cruisers. until i drove one

Shooter
    35mm
    ...and what more cult one want?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't want any cult following me around when I photograph, think of the mess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before cameras, Olympus competed with Nikon & Zeiss making microscopes & precision optical dinguses(dingi?)
    The first full frame SLR foray was the FTL with a locking screw mount lens. Using my mighty powers of recollection(HAH!) it wasn't compatible with SOME other M42 lenses.

It was a bowser and lasted for about two years.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dan F, I see your point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin