Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,708   Online: 797

Thread: Dented filter

Shooter
    35mm

Dented filter

Hi Everyone.

I have an HD filter that some how got dented and now it won't turn . Is there a way to fix this...can it be fixed? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

BocaNY

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -) buy a special threaded tool to press the dent out of the ring

-) make yourself a useful tool

-) look at a rummage bin at a photo shop for used filters. If you are lucky you will find a filter with not only the same filter size but similar mounting for the glass. Then "just" exchange the filter glasses. Maybe you find even the appropriate filter...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Presuming this is a rotating filter it's gonna be a toughie. Besides working the two rings & hope to get a bit of slippage/wear.

Just checking a polarizer I've got here, there's a thin retaining ring for the glass but I haven't taken it apart to look at the assembly itself.

Maybe it was grown from a seed? Not helpful, I know. :P
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I did not realize that this is about a polarizer and about the twisting in itself. (And I still got no idea what HD means.. Maybe Heavy Duty.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry I meant my polarizer filter....not hd(which i meant to write nd).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoya makes various filters(HD) with rotating sections.
    Weird.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HD is high definition, chiefly the polarising material sandwiched between the glass, very similar to what B+W Kasemann POLs use: it is colourless, extremely thin and very, very clear; this benefits digital shooters, not so big a deal for analogue. Not all polarising materials are or were ever created equal. The Chinese made polarisers are appalling, masquerading as "quality optics". Buy one and pull it apart and compare it to a B+W (though it's not recommended you pull one of those beauties apart! )

I've had perhaps 2 or 3 POLs with damaged threads over the years; they are routinely thrown out; damaged threads on the lens side will damage the lens threads; frontal filter thread damage is by and large inconsequential, perhaps not allowing a hood to be attached (unless a clasp type). A dent on the front of a filter proves it has saved your lens from the same thing!

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok. So the thread that goes to the lens itself is fine. The front thread is the one that got dented. I can still attach my lens cap on it. In fact the lens cap was on at the time it happened. Whatever fell on it seems to have pushed in/down a small spot on the front thread so that it longer rotates. I can see a little dent on the part where the metal holds the glass in place.
    Last edited by BocaNY; 10-28-2013 at 09:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    damaged threads on the lens side will damage the lens threads; frontal filter thread damage is by and large inconsequential, perhaps not allowing a hood to be attached (unless a clasp type)
    An alternative to trying to de-bend a threaded ring or to re-cut a damaged thread is to simply mill-off that damaged part. Would not look nice but most probably will come out as the technically better working solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    An alternative to trying to de-bend a threaded ring or to re-cut a damaged thread is to simply mill-off that damaged part. Would not look nice but most probably will come out as the technically better working solution.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, I can't even trim my nails properly! But sounds just the bomb for those willing to tinker. But for me, if I bugger a filter, I buy another one, learning solidly from my mistake.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin