Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,661   Online: 648

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's not unusual for art schools to offer classes in antique processes.
    There are only standard b&w darkrooms over here, if at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whitey, thanks for the link. I followed it and read, am absolutely appalled by the student, who said:

"Digital images are inherently less interesting just because everyone does it,"
    I hold no brief for digital but that's just stupid.

And then there's the one who asked, of platinum prints,:

"This is not a common medium, so why take a common picture?"
    Maybe the kids really are dumber than we were at their age. Hard to imagine, but ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that link. Nice to see "real" photography being practiced. Sure wish someone would come up with a business model and create a user darkroom facility in most every community so all of us had a darkroom so we could practice too...

Bob E.
    Nikon F5, Nikon F4S, Nikon FA, Nikon FE, Nikon N90, Nikon N80, Nikon N75, Mamiya 645 Pro, Mamiya Press Super 23, Yashica Lynx 14e, Yashica Electro GSN, Yashica 124G, Yashica D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Why take a common picture?" seems to me to be an entirely admirable expression of ambition, rather than "dumb"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    "Why take a common picture?" seems to me to be an entirely admirable expression of ambition, rather than "dumb"
    There's nothing wrong with taking uncommon pictures but I can't see any relationship between the image capture medium or the medium used to produce the final print and the image's commoness (or lack thereof). Asserting a connection that doesn't exist seems silly.

The kid may have meant that because Pt prints are expensive and the technique is difficult making them requires more care in all stages of the process, including image capture, than cheaper and easier alternatives. If so, then the kid hasn't learned that we don't try to do things well because of mistakes' cost. We try to do things well because doing things badly is wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Platinum printing will be a thing truly of the past if suitable paper choices keep dwindling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My step son attends Douglas Anderson School of the Arts here in Jax. It's a magnet high school with competitive enrollment, so the kids who are selected are already developing competence in their art (music, dance, writing, visual art, film) as freshmen. All the visual arts students are required to take photography and the course is divided between analog in freshman and sophomore years and digital in junior and senior years. When I attended an open house last month, the smell of fixer (perfume to my nose!) was in the air just as ink had been in the printmaking classroom. It may be rare, but it's still happening! http://dcps.duvalschools.org/anderson
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    The phrase in the lead does ring the toys s US generational cry.
    " anyone with a cell phone can take pictures..."
    Evidently the goal of creating art should have ceased once crayons were available.
    Rant over... when I was young recycling ment wrapping the garbage
    In yesterdays newspaper. Fitting some how.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think we're being too hard on these guys.

First, the comment "Digital images are inherently less interesting just because everyone does it" was followed by "When someone sees something like this, it'll hold their attention longer because it catches them off-guard,". Frankly, a platinum image captures my eye - and garners a longer look - because it's different. Doesn't make it better.

Second, this is an online article. The reporter - who probably doesn't really understand the medium - wrote this. Then an editor cut it back to meet space requirements. Then an online editor further cut it back. Who knows what (comments or context) was left out.

I give them (the students and the school) credit for taking the effort.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin