Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,405   Online: 1043

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can get away without ND filters in 4x5 by using a speed graphic; 1/1000 sec and iso100 film can handle about any amount of sunlight. Way faster than most lens-shutters. I have had to use ND filters with my 8x10 though as the ilex5 shutter isn't exactly fast because of it's size.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I can get away without ND filters in 4x5 by using a speed graphic; 1/1000 sec and iso100 film can handle about any amount of sunlight. Way faster than most lens-shutters. I have had to use ND filters with my 8x10 though as the ilex5 shutter isn't exactly fast because of it's size.
    There are situations in which 1/1000 sec and 100 iso film won't give you the the effect you try to achieve. When I take pictures of streams and lakes I want shutter times from at least 1/4 sec, going down to sometimes half a minute and more. Stopping down helps of course, but a ND filter serves a very good purpose also. I always carry two of them: a 3 stops one and a 10 stops one. The 3 stops I also use when I want to take pictures wide open and there is more light then the fastest shutter speed can take, for instance when using the 360 tele-xenar in it's Compur3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin