Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,481   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Adjustable ND filters

I've just found out about the existence of adjustable ND filters. Are they any good? I've seen some on Ebay for under £6, so I'm a bit suspicious.Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In short, Price is proportional to quality.
    Especially with Vari-ND filters, the worst and cheapest ones get colour-casts and even cross-hatching effects in some cases.
    If you can't afford a good one (B+W, Heliopan, Singh-Ray, Lee, etc), I'd suggest just go with a handful of regular fixed-value NDs (you get better for your $ with fixed than varis)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go with fixed ND filters, besides the above the actual ND rating or f-stop value changes with the lighting conditions. On so it seems to me.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consisting of two polarizers one must take account of the inherit characteristics of a polarizer which is

-) of course polarizing, with maybe unwanted reduction of reflection and a, even spatially varying, effect on sky colour

-) the dependability on angle of view (with super-wide angle lenses)
    Last edited by AgX; 11-05-2013 at 03:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't waist your money, they're crap. Cost me $20 to find out.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used crossed polarizers for an improvised variable density filter, but would choose quality ND filters for serious use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think they exist for video more than to replace a set of ND filters. You could adjust the ND filter (with aperture going the other way) to control DOF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I already have a set of filters up to ND-8, but 8 seems to be the limit, which is why I was intereted in the variable one. But maybe I won't bother if they're no good.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By stacking all three of your static ND filters you'll get the same reduction as with a 1,6 variable ND filter, namely factor 64.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Vari ND's suck, as mentioned/implied, and i myself have tried them. Although the expensive ones are multicoated, they also give you a cross hatch, that you can't get to because they have a physical stop. The cheap ones, just let you keep twisting and twisting.

If you want a big stop, there is a nd 32 on ebay, that i bought that does work, although it gives a strong blue cast, while not a big problem in b/w, it wouldn't work with color film.

the expensive big stopper (LEE's big stopper), also gives a strong color cast, but they send you 'settings' for white balance/color temp if you use Dig*tal. One of the reasons you often see these photos with 10 stops in black and white, is the strong color cast these nd filters give... i think i read somewhere that it's because they aren't true nd filters (i don't remember the rest).

anyway,

don't get vari-nd filters
    do get nd32 equivalent to 10 stops, by my tests (don't forget reciprocity)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin