Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,039   Online: 903

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    A snob looks down his nose at what other folks own/use/covet and by definition, APUGers do that.
    Nonsense. There are plenty of people here who shoot both film and digital, and some of those who shoot only film don't seem to look down their noses at the pixel folks.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, and no. On one hand I like what I like, and often those can be pretty inexpensive cameras, like old folders, or maybe a Nikon F. On the other, I have spent fairly large amounts of money (by my standards) to get precisely what I was after.

So, on one hand no, I don't covet fancy Leicas (I had an MP once, it was an unremarkable experience), but on the other, I don't rule out spending a lot to get what I want.

I only shoot film, and I sure as hell look down on the digital shooters. (semi-joke).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I will only use *modified* Holgas. I need a shirt to wear when I'm using my view camera that says "My other camera is a piece of crap."

Oh...and my Bronica is kind of a beater. It works a treat though.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Oh boy!

Look at my prized possessions...
    Are there cameras in this picture? Odd, I'm not seeing them.

I do look down my nose quite a bit, but that's where the viewfinder is!
    Last edited by jovo; 11-08-2013 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm am sorta. I've haven't bought anything recently.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah a bit.

I came to Nikon because of a fantasy based in my youth, I stay because of the practicality and the interchangeability of stuff within the system; its easy to adjust within the system to almost any need.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am a bit, but only in that when I buy something or get into a new format, or system (like switching from medium format to large-format, or like switching from using SLR cameras to using rangefinders) I don't really want to start with the crappy camera and then "upgrade" because that just seems silly to me. I do a lot of research before I enter into a new system, so I'm pretty assured at that time that it's something that I'm going to want to use, so there's no reason for me to buy a beater first, and then have to spend more money later on something else, and have trouble selling that piece of crap camera, because then I'll just end up spending more money in the end, so I patiently wait for a good deal on a high-quality camera and then I get it.

It's certainly taken me a while to acquire all of them, but I use them all regularly, and if I have two of the same exact kind of camera, then I sell one of them, because it's silly to have multiples if they sort of have the same kind of handholding, like owning a Yashica TLR, and then also owning a Rolleiflex TLR, I don't want to show full cameras collecting dust, I want useful tools to create my art, but I know that because I'm particular about how I for my heart, that I have a better chance of making some better art with better equipment IN GENERAL.

If I want to picture to be fuzzy blurry, I can simply add a filter, or add some saran wrap or something and then I'll have an "artsy" picture. If I want a nice extra sharp picture, I just don't use the filter and use my nice high-quality lens.

Anyway without further do my cameras...

-TOYO 45a (later model revolving back version, so essentially the mark II model without the fancy knobs) [4x5 field camera]

-Mamiya 7 II [MF RF]

-Mamiya RZ67 [MF SLR]

-Yashica44LM [127 format TLR]

-Canon 1V [35mm SLR for current autofocus lens systems]

-Canon AE-1 [35mm SLR for manual focus]

-------

I do have a few "crappy" cameras but they get exceptions Kodak 120 folder, the only one that functions perfectly, a Kodak 116 folder, not perfect but let's me shoot 116 film, and 616 kodak folder, this one is the only one that has perfectly light tight bellows and think I might canibalize it for the 116, because this one is basically an automatic and the 116 can actually be set. I have a Zeiss Ikon ContinaMATIC II that I got to try out RF's only to discover it doesn't have a coupled RF but convinced me I want one because they are small and useful...

So the only camera I don't have is a Leica, I was actually kind of a snob about like us, and what I mean by that is the opposite of what people would think, I actually snubbed my nose at Leica owners, because of all of the pictures I've seen, leica owner pictures seem to be the crappiest. That whole load the glasses so perfect look at these perfect curves etc. attitude seems to trump the skill in actually using it to its advantage, but I think I would be like that other guy on the first page, the one who said that his is a users leica, mine would be scratched and doing and look like you had been through three wars, and like owners would be horrified that it was in fact and M6

However I can't really find one that I can afford, they're just too ridiculously expensive hah! Of all the camera systems I've "bought into", the Leica is the most expensive. So I will probably never have one, and of course I'm particular, and I only want the silver and black one, not the all-black one, if I'm going to spend the money on a Leica, I might as well have one that looks like a Leica not a point-and-shoot lol!

I know, in the large-format area there are better cameras, but I think mine is pretty well up there for the modern 4x5's and I also know that the Mamiya RZ67 is considered by some, inferior to the Hassleblad, however I think the two systems are pretty well matched, and I preferred the 67 format to the 66 format for most images, also it's easier to get frames in 6 x 7, then have to find square ones, but ultimately that came down to price, basically for the same quality lenses (yes I truly believe the Mamiya lenses are just as good as Hassleblad) I can get a much cheaper system with the RZ67 than I can with Hassleblad set up.

Apologies for any weird sentences, I'm dictating with my phone using Siri.

So yeah, I'm a big snob
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i guess i am a little bit of an equipment snob, i don't really like too much auto
    cause i don't bother with any of that stuff, id like to over ride all of it ...
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Yep, 150% S N O B proud of it and no shame.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-08-2013 at 11:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, and no.

I appreciate and want to use good tools. In all my hobbies and interests. Good tools do not have to be the most expensive, or even the most well known. I like SK wrenches, Facom ratchets, and use Craftsmen sockets and Wiha screwdrivers. I drive Mercedes. Mine is a 1985 300sd, hers is a 2000 230 Kompressor. I listen to vinyl records. I prefer Kenya AA coffee beans, roasted dark. I have no idea what brand appliances I own, except for the coffee makers. I want the best quality I can get get for those things that are important to me. I do not look down on anyone with "lesser" quality property. If you are happy with a cup of Maxwell House dripped out of Sunbeam, thats great. If you offer me a cup I say "thank you".

I have seen some marvelous photographs done on all kinds of equipment. Some of the most revered art was created using equipment some of us would throw away. Talent trumps hardware every time. In my business I see how good marketing can create demand for a product, a lot of what I see in the camera hardware race is the result of great marketing. Is digitial really better than film? Depends. Is modern optics really necessary to pull the best out of todays cameras? Probably not, but maybe sometimes.

The question should really be, "are you happy with what you have?" Does what I think about what you own really matter?

Why are you taking photographs? If you take a good one, how do you know its good? Does the equipment used make a difference in your definition of good?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nope, not a snob. However, were I to buy a tee shirt, it would likely say, "My other camera is better than yours."

Just because it would be fun... :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin