Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,177   Online: 975

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like and appreciate my nicer cameras (I have a Hasselblad), but I use whatever will do what I want in that moment (I have a couple of Holgas, too). Or whatever I have with me (sometimes only my iPhone - sorry). I actually use my Pentax 645N way more than the Hasselblad - it's got to do with how it feels in my hand. I like what I like and I don't apologize for it. I've even made my own 8x10 pinhole (well, it sucked, but it was only version 1).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really, I generally dont understand people having too many cameras, I have less than half-a-dozen and that itself is too much of a choice sometimes - paralysis by choice, the term is, I guess!

I'd rather have the simplest camera to use and make pictures. Most often I'm looking for the camera n post-processing to be out of my way.
    A digital camera with Nikon's post-processing engine with basic film controls as on the older manual cameras would be the best of all worlds. (no, fuji x100 doesn't cut it. Too disappointing too see bright rangefinder n then not-so-bright image on clicking)

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i don't have any preference for the cameras i use.
    i have too many of them so just grab what it handy
    or that will be easiest to work with with the medium i am working with
    so, a 35mm or half frame or 110 might work, or if i am using paper negatives
    something bigger, but im not too particular ... that larger one might be a junky pre war box camera
    or a 8x10 camera ..

i guess i am a little bit of an equipment snob, i don't really like too much auto
    cause i don't bother with any of that stuff, id like to over ride all of it ...

so .. are YOU an equipment snob ?
    why, why not ?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I have and use my stuff because it's what suits me best. OM-1's, an AE-1, a Trip 35 and one of the later plastic Canon series are not snob fodder. The only camera that people seem to get a real kick out of is my Rollei B35, not because it's a Rollei, but because it's just a jewel of a camera, and still works perfectly.
    If a Zenit or something like that is what I thought would be perfect for what I was doing, that's what I'd have.
    To me, a true snob is someone who buys a particular item for it's ability to impress, not to do the job. It may indeed do the job, but little or no better than another less expensive brand.
    I think that applies to cameras, cars, clothing and most other things we buy. I would no more go out and pay $100 for a pair of designer jeans than I would hit myself in the face with a dead fish.
    To each their own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, today the camera I used to make a picture at the river was a coffee can. I suppose there can be a sort of "reverse snob" when DIY people think they are better than people who buy things, but I don't really care what equipment other people use, including digital. I do like some equipment a lot: I have a Kodak 3A that is a beautiful camera and I always like using it. I was lucky to get it. Actually I like using all my cameras, but I don't compare them to what other people have. Maybe a little jealous when I see someone here with a beautiful handmade antique 8x10...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like cameras that are functional like a Leica or beautiful like a Kodak RB Cycle camera. There is also perverse pleasure in using old clunkers to compete with the fine equipment of others.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Snob.. more happy that my selective choice of factors results in usable dependable cameras. Like the smart cow I seem to recognize the difference between food and sticks in posts and elsewhere. (Spit out sticks, ruminate on the mind food) I find myself enjoying the conversation with the jogger by the riverside so loves to shoot sunsets with his digital pocket camera and loves the color. Snob hmmm defensive over my choices.. not at 67. I just am who I have aged into. 50's Rollei T. 50's Crown Graphic. Graphic View UK came out of Air Force surplus sales. Nikon F3 replaced my long gone Ftn. Underwater with a Nikonos II not a Rolleimarine.. I'll have to agree with snob. I love my chosen forms of functional quality. I don't plant to abandon anything for something of sleeker racist style. Must be old age.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Snob.. more happy that my selective choice of factors results in usable dependable cameras. Like the smart cow I seem to recognize the difference between food and sticks in posts and elsewhere. (Spit out sticks, ruminate on the mind food) I find myself enjoying the conversation with the jogger by the riverside so loves to shoot sunsets with his digital pocket camera and loves the color. Snob hmmm defensive over my choices.. not at 67. I just am who I have aged into. 50's Rollei T. 50's Crown Graphic. Graphic View II came out of Air Force surplus sales. Nikon F3 replaced my long gone Ftn. Underwater with a Nikonos II not a Rolleimarine.. I'll have to agree with snob. I love my chosen forms of functional quality. I don't plan to abandon anything for something of sleeker racist style. Must be old age.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not a snob, because I couldn't care less about what equipment other people choose to own or use. As long as they don't tell me my choices are wrong.

I do like beautiful and/or functional and/or durable and/or inspirational equipment - what is wrong with enjoying things of quality?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, i am not an equipment snob, so that i have 10 film bodies so far, 7 MF and 3 LF, and still not done yet, so definitely i am jot a snob.....hehehehe

Well, getting into film is really a great decision i did, but it was in wrong place or time, because in my country it will be like i am one of 1-2% who is using film, and most of the year time it is hot and i got busy mostly since dad died in 2010, so i feel myself doing less and less photography, and with digital invasion i also feel that film will have used for about 5-10% per year, and i am trying to get back to film again and this time i hope to do it seriously rather than just tests shots.

This site with another site of LFF which making me to think a lot about using film and becoming snob, so don't blame me, close this site and hope the other site also closed then i will sell all my film equipment ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't consider myself a snob. I like all cameras in one way or another. It irritates me when some people, and they mostly seem to be the non-photographer types, immediately brush you off when they realize your using film or a camera that in their eyes is sub-par. I personally own many makes and brands. Folders, range finders, SLR's, TLR's, and a few i can't remember. I recently acquired a Kodak Hawkeye Brownie Flash for the princely sum of 50¢USD, never used one before. Loaded it up it some T-Max 100 and had some fun. "You can still find film for that?" I heard. Posted some of the pictures and most folks liked them. Some were fooled thinking that they were "old" photos I had dug out and posted. They had the look and feel of a vintage photo. Why? Because they were done exactly as the vintage ones were done. Sure, those who are skilled with photoshop can "duplicate" that look but why imitate when you can do the real thing? I have digital equipment in my vast and growing collection. I use different equipment for different applications. There are things my Mamiya C33 does better than my Nikon D70s. Then again the Kodak 3a will do things in a way that the others in my collection do not do as well. I don't really care what everyone else is shooting. As long as everyone can preserve the images that they've captured in a way that satisfies them, then great.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin