Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,867   Online: 874

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    ....... not at 67. ...... Must be old age.
    Bite your tongue, gleaf. We're vintage, not old!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It's certainly taken me a while to acquire all of them, but I use them all regularly, and if I have two of the same exact kind of camera, then I sell one of them, because it's silly to have multiples if they sort of have the same kind of handholding, like owning a Yashica TLR, and then also owning a Rolleiflex TLR, I don't want to show full cameras collecting dust, I want useful tools to create my art, but I know that because I'm particular about how I for my heart, that I have a better chance of making some better art with better equipment IN GENERAL.

-------

:
    I disagree here: I have several twin reflexes for two reasons: I like the different models for their design and beauty, BUT more importantly because they are SO different!!

The forrest? = Super Ricohflex any day
    Portrait? = Rolleiflex F
    both? = Voigtländer Superb..

I might be a snob... I'll buy a Gandolfi if I don't allready have that model already... (maybe that just makes me a collector)

I don't look down on others - I look up to them with jealousy if they have something I want...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really. My best camera is the one that I have with me.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anti-snob. All my cameras and lenses except one I bought cheap on the 'Bay. All my lenses except one are off brands. The one snob lens I have is a 12" Dagor, but it's a beater. The one snob camera I have is a Voigtlander Bessa II that my late Dad gave me when I was a teenager.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I disagree here: I have several twin reflexes for two reasons: I like the different models for their design and beauty, BUT more importantly because they are SO different!!

The forrest? = Super Ricohflex any day
    Portrait? = Rolleiflex F
    both? = Voigtländer Superb..

I might be a snob... I'll buy a Gandolfi if I don't allready have that model already... (maybe that just makes me a collector)

I don't look down on others - I look up to them with jealousy if they have something I want...
    If the lenses aren't interchangeable, and you need to change whole bodies in order to get a different focal length, yes that in this case you have multiple bodies, however to me that silly, which is why I would buy into the camera system that has interchangeable lenses over a pretty body or pretty name. But that's just me.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a snob-I've taken some of my best pics with an old Olympus Trip and a pinhole camera made from a coffee tin. Any camera's only as good as the person using it!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not choosy, it's Penzoil or nothing.

I'm not a snob. However, I prefer a couple of my cameras because they have sentimental value, and thus use them most of the time.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, not really. Although I do own a few pricey bodies, cost and "status" did not figure into either my purchasing decisions or my attitude toward my equipment. To wit:

1). I bought my first Nikon, an F2AS, new in 1979, on the advice of a colleague who stressed the extensiveness and ruggedness of the system. Given that (a) as a neophyte who had no earthly idea where photography would take him, the availability of a multitude of lenses and accessories was a major selling point; and (b) being totally bereft of any sort of mechanical aptitude (see my post re attempted - i.e failed equipment repairs) Nikon's reputation for dependability and longevity was the clincher. Although I have added new bodies as they were introduced, most were purchased for reasons of "improvements" in technology (i.e. F3HP: in camera metering, F5: multi-step shutter speed (nice for chromes), F6 (as F5: ergonomics...plus, for sentimental reasons, the "last Nikon?"). Further to owning a lot of Nikon bodies: I have been extremely lucky on eBay, paying sub $100 for the majority of my inventory (F5 bodies excepted).

2). The Leicas? I have always enjoyed the human circus (is there anything more entertaining than watching humans be humans?); that said, I prefer standing back - unnoticed, I hope - and watching the spectacle unfold before me. Leica was the first name that came to mind ( I confess to not doing any research beforehand re other options); most of what I have learned about the system, I have picked up here on APUG!

3). All my Hasselblad equipemnt was purchased used. Again, my initial foray into the system was on the advice of a colleague who stressed the simplicity, quality and ruggedness of the system as well as the quality of the glass. Over time, the system has proven to be a good compromise to lugging a view camera on hikes.

So...do I "look down" on other systems? No. I have what I have because each works for me. I invested in each system for reasons far removed from "status" concerns. When I say I am mechanically inept, I mean that to the fullest extent (also why I own a Civic and a BMW - things I don't have to fix!). I know many other photographers who will sing the praises of their Olympus, Canon, Pentax and Minolta systems; use what works for you (even a coffee can or shoebox). In the final analysis, it is about the image, not how you obtained it. Shoot on!
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Bite your tongue, gleaf. We're vintage, not old!!
    Speak for yourself, John.

I've measured, and I'm old. So is most of my photographic equipment. Getting here took all of my life and so did accumulating the gear.

Let's not talk about superiority, real or imagined. Neither kind gets me a discount when I go shopping, not even for the proverbial cup of coffee. I pay full price, like everyone else.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If the lenses aren't interchangeable, and you need to change whole bodies in order to get a different focal length, yes that in this case you have multiple bodies, however to me that silly, which is why I would buy into the camera system that has interchangeable lenses over a pretty body or pretty name. But that's just me.
    I think you misunderstood my post...

All or most of my twinreflex cameras has the same FL.. so it is NOT to have different focal lengths - it is because of the obvious difference in how the different lenses perform!

I also have interchangeable systems and they are fine too - I get that point,but....

And the snob in me do think a beautiful body matters! ( )

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin