Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,391   Online: 966

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

are you an equipment snob ?

i don't have any preference for the cameras i use.
    i have too many of them so just grab what it handy
    or that will be easiest to work with with the medium i am working with
    so, a 35mm or half frame or 110 might work, or if i am using paper negatives
    something bigger, but im not too particular ... that larger one might be a junky pre war box camera
    or a 8x10 camera ..

i guess i am a little bit of an equipment snob, i don't really like too much auto
    cause i don't bother with any of that stuff, id like to over ride all of it ...

so .. are YOU an equipment snob ?
    why, why not ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i don't have any preference for the cameras i use.
    i have too many of them so just grab what it handy
    or that will be easiest to work with with the medium i am working with
    so, a 35mm or half frame or 110 might work, or if i am using paper negatives
    something bigger, but im not too particular ... that larger one might be a junky pre war box camera
    or a 8x10 camera ..

i guess i am a little bit of an equipment snob, i don't really like too much auto
    cause i don't bother with any of that stuff, id like to over ride all of it ...

so .. are YOU an equipment snob ?
    why, why not ?
    Yes, yes I am. I had T-shirts made up, one for when I'm using my Linhof says "My other camera is a Deardorff" and another, for when I'm using the Deardorff says "My other camera is a Linhof".

I wish I'd thought of this back when I owned two Leica M3s and a IIIG - I'd have had a shirt made that said "My other cameras are Leicas, too".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Oh yes. If I take out the M2 I'm in working mode and no excuse is permitted and the M2 is part of me. If I take out one of my other 10 cameras, they are toys and I am playing.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I *like* equipment, but I don't feel like a snob about it. I just think the mechanical-age gestalt of mid-20th-century cameras, and the extensive manual involvement in using (especially) prewar large format, are enjoyable. But if anything I may be kind of a reverse snob, in that I'm more likely to admire the photographer who can get a good result from a Rube Goldberg[1] setup of scrap wood and chewing gum than the one who spent US$2,284,572,275,073.36 on the newest shiniest fanciest everything.

It's a personality trait, I think; I'm the same way about cars, guitars, horses, garden tools, camping equipment...anything that functions as a tool, I admire good workmanship, I work best with tools I feel a personal "bond" with, but I'm kind of contemptuous when I see someone have the attitude "this tool isn't good enough for me". Man, if you could *really* ride, you'd be able to win that equitation class on a moose. Or whatever.

-NT

[1] That's American for "Heath Robinson", I believe.
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ntenny,

Here - (1)

(1) There's a toolbar immediately above the message box when you click 'go advanced' for reply. It has sub-and superscript options.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, not a gear snob. I have some nice gear in several formats but don't flaunt it and don't care what others think about it (or me). All I want is to be using gear that will get me the images. I often choose which gear would be best given the time, place, and subject... but that's all about choosing the right tool rather than snobbery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh boy!

Look at my prized possessions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wear through the chrome on my cameras just stroking them and calling them by name.
    See Monty Python's "Bruce"
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Oh boy!

Look at my prized possessions...
    She'll have lower back pain for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll take care of that

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin