Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,112   Online: 985

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Help with Scanning

Hello,

I am scanning my negs, and have no clue if i am doing it right. Initially, I thought the scanner would simply scan what I have exposed the actual shot, but I have noticed that by selecting the tons of options the results differ dramatically - which in my opinion is quite confusing since you don't know what your exposure looked like.

The other issue I am facing is that the review is showing something completely different to the actual scan, see pictures attached:

Preview:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 8.46.32 am.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	634.2 KB 
ID:	76679

Scan:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-10 at 8.46.43 am.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	754.2 KB 
ID:	76680

I am using VueScan with the following settings:

1. Input 16 bit gray
    2. Green channel
    4. Scan resolution 2400
    5. Output 16 bit gray

Have no clue what to select in the colour tab, none and generic, portrait of Ilford etc. btw, I have tried all none, manual etc.

The main issue is that the preview is misleading and I want to know if I am doing something wrong or is this a VueScan issue.

Cheers

Raffay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Raffray.

You will soon see this thread closed down, because in order to preserve its focus APUG expressly excludes almost all discussions of scanning and other digital subjects.

Don't feel bad about the thread being closed - unless you knew better you won't be "blamed".

APUG has a sister site that does deal with scanning - DPUG.ORG. It is quieter than here, but it is helpful.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin