Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,987   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Transfer Regular 8mm movie film from 10 meter reel to 7.5 meter reel

Hello ,

For newcomers , I bought an Bolex Kern Paillard C8 Regular 8mm camera for photography use. I bought from FOMA R100 Regular 8mm Positive film which it is called 2x8mm 16mm film also. It comes in 10 meters long but my bolex uses
    7.5 meters reel. How can I roll , spool that longer film in to shorter reel ? I am still sourcing for cable release to use
    in frame by frame . If I use my hands to roll , spool the film , does the lack of tension harm the camera or final
    image ?

Umut
    Last edited by Mustafa Umut Sarac; 11-15-2013 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The lack of tension should not harm the frames in any way due to the pull down claw (hopefully) setting the film correct and the pressure plate holding it flat.

Cartridges are a different story. In some cameras, too much tension will cause the film to snap, or the camera to not run.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 2
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you very much John.

Umut

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Does anybody have information whether I could insert the 10 meters reel and empty reel without problem in to 1956 Bolex C8. What is the total lenght of 25 feet 7.5 meter film when we added the daylight use film part ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Umut, the nominal lenght is 25 foot or 7,62 m. The actual length is about 33 foot or 10 m. The additional length is provided as light protection so you can load the film on so-called daylight spools which should be done in subdued light or at least in the shadow.

Since one foot of Regular-Eight film contains 80 frames, you have 2000 frames per roll side, a total of 4000 after processing. Naturally, the two sides need to be spliced together. Those in charge of processing have the right to cut off the waste length but you have the right for 4000 frames. It is good practice to run the film forward in the closed camera to counter Zero, expose no more than 25 ft., and then let the film run out in the again closed camera (cap on lens, variable shutter closed, etc.).

The processor should add leader film to the picture sections, preferably of white colour.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bolex is Swiss made and best answer might come from there. Thank you very much Europan,

take care,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why theorize when you can measure?

Mustafa, does your C-8 have a take-up reel? If no, unusable until you can get one. 8/8 film travels from feed reel to take-up reel.

If yes, is it the same diameter as y'r reel of FOMA film? If yes (it should be), load and go.

If no, go shopping for another reel the size of y'r takeup reel and when you have respool as much film on to it as it will take.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dan , Film will arrive in 3 weeks time. I have no take up reel also and I am trying to source it but no ebay in 4 countries helps me.
    Whats wrong with theorization or philosophy ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Dan , Film will arrive in 3 weeks time. I have no take up reel also and I am trying to source it but no ebay in 4 countries helps me.
    Whats wrong with theorization or philosophy ?
    Speculation unconstrained by data is fruitless. A waste of time. Ignorance feeding on ignorance.

In photography, theory is useful for finding the limits of what's possible. Thinking clearly helps too, and so does giving full information when asking questions.

Oh, and by the way, 8/8 cameras were sold with take-up spools. You should give the person who sold you your C8 a hard time for not delivering one with the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any 25 foot take up spool should work. You can spend eight US Dollars and get a nice BOLEX branded one. Either way, you always keep your spool and send the other one off to the processor.

The best reels for regular-8 are marked "I" and "II" on each side but you can put your own marks on the one you get.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	635043730_tp.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	77006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin