Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,692   Online: 857

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Equipment taken to formal education

What equipment did you take to college/University to start your formal education in photography? I remember getting off the train with minimal luggage which contained a Leica II, thermometer and spiral tank.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my Nikon F3 and F4, and a Yashica 124G.

Went through a RB67 and Bronica ETRS which both got resold in short order for a Hasselblad, and traded the 124G for a Rolleiflex Automat.

As a first year fine-arts student at Alfred, there were no photographic classes as part of the curriculum, and I didn't have a changing bag or darkroom access for the first semester, so I would use my backpack in my dorm room closet and process in the bathroom at night, keeping my chemicals in spare snapple and gatorade bottles that I scrounged from recycling. Hung the negs to dry in my room using thumbtacks to hold them to the soft ceiling panels. I would take developer concentrate (sprint) from the photo dept. late at night and store it in an old 500ml rodinal bottle that I had brought with me.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon F-1 and various lens.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What equipment did you take to college/University to start your formal education in photography? I remember getting off the train with minimal luggage which contained a Leica II, thermometer and spiral tank.
    clive, i sort of started my formal education in high school, with a k1000 and then i took it to college. in college
    besides the camera i brought paper route money for film and paper, and halfway through the 4 years
    ( i was in the pre architecture program with a minor in photography ) i bought a yashica 124 matg ..
    but 7 semesters (incl 2 directed studies ) wasn't really my formal education, ... THAT started AFTER college when i assisted freelancers
    and eventually became an apprentice to a portrait photographer ... it was at that time i bought a speed graphic.
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-25-2013 at 07:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 16x20, 2" high fiberboard "portfolio" case with webbing straps containing a technical pen with a lettering guide, a tape measure (inches and metric required), a tool box with a magnifier, 6" steel ruler, an incident-capable light meter, darkroom apron, print tongs, Kodak grey card and colour patches, and a short list of Kodak technical "books". A 100 sheet box of Ilford MG paper - to start - in 8x10 inch size.

The cameras and lenses were supplied as were all the darkroom equipment and chemicals. Paper and film we supplied, as per each weeks assignments.

The first year of two was spend shooting 4x5 (the ubiquitous Calumet - but we had ONE with the short bag bellows for the 90 and 65mm Super Angulons we had available). The 4x5 monotony was broken in the second term when we got to use the 6x7 Mamiya 23 rangefinders for a few small assignments. NO "small" camera work at all. First year was ALL black and white, with each student taking turns running the "film lab" for a week at a time.

I was paranoid and did all my own film processing away from school, using my equipment at a darkroom I had available where I was working (just the go-fer) at the time. It really rankled one of the instructors that I didn't share the others experiences in the too crowded communal darkroom at school. Some of then were total beginners in the darkroom with all the attendant mistakes - like turning on the light to find the film they dropped... I wasn't looking for that kind of experience with my assignments, the work load was heavy enough without allowing for reshoots caused by another persons mistakes.

I remember those hectic days mostly fondly, hectic, but totally immersed in photography with like-minded folks. I still shoot 4x5 and did during my foray into the world of making a living at it. Sometimes, for a lighter bag to carry, I shoot with an old Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I went to Indiana University's Fort Wayne campus, and since I lived in the city with my parents at the time, I didn't take anything to school as far as equipment or other items college kids leave home with. I did have two new professional cameras my father bought me when I graduated from high school. He got my a Mamiya 645 Super and a Nikon F4s with some lenses for both so I'd have good professional gear for my education. I earned a Bachelors in Fine Arts with photo major.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Taught myself - went to college to study chemistry. Learnt about photography with a Zenit E camera and a Zenit enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To whom do you refer about having a formal photographic education? Not most of us.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    To whom do you refer about having a formal photographic education? Not most of us.
    Well those who do, or whatever your introduction to photography with what equipment. I'm not trying to be elitist.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Taking photographs, learning from mistakes, asking photographers questions, reading books, experimenting, making mistakes ... not necessarily in that order.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin