Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,897   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Atari1977 View Post
    Well the shoe mount appealed to me because I'm getting into the Hasselblad V system and it should fit nicely on the grip I bought. So when you use the 208, how do you determine what you are metering if there is no viewfinder?
    It's an incident meter. I verfiry ISO is set correctly and aim it in the opposite direction as the camera. Within 30 degrees aim is good enough. I press the button to take a reading. The needle moves to it's position, and I spin the dial so the other needle matches and I get all my aperture/shutter combinations.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    It's an incident meter. I verfiry ISO is set correctly and aim it in the opposite direction as the camera. Within 30 degrees aim is good enough. I press the button to take a reading. The needle moves to it's position, and I spin the dial so the other needle matches and I get all my aperture/shutter combinations.
    I assume the same applies when using its reflective metering function. Obviously it'll take some practice to get it right.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I walk up to things in reflective mode, try not to cast a shadow, take a close-up reading and line up the needle with the Zone that I want to place that reading on.

It's real easy to make a Zone System sticker for the Pentax Spotmeter V... Not quite as easy with the Sekonic, but it can be done...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the L-208. It's small, accurate and I haven't had any problems with reliability. I use it in both reflected and incident modes. It's easy to keep in your pocket and I haven't had to change the battery in over 2 years. Especially when I'm shooting with Leicas or other small meterless cameras it's very easy to use to occasionally adjust/confirm my settings based on the lighting conditions. For a shoe-mount meter I also use the VCII meter, but if I'm shooting with wider/longer lenses that need an external VF, I use the L-208. For medium format with a tripod, or low light situations I have a Gossen Luna-Pro which meters down to EV -1. It's obviously a lot bigger and heavier than the Sekonic, but is very sensitive and has a wide metering range. If you shoot different formats and for varying situations, you may find that not just one meter will suit all your needs.

Shooter
    35mm

Sturdy Lightmeter

I don't know if they are widely available elsewhere in the world, but I still have my Weston Euromaster selenium cell meter. It has a large (approx 2 sq inches +) of selenium cell and a clip on invercone. Whilst it may not be as sensitive as some of the later battery powered meters is is very, very accurate. They have 2 levels of light acceptance, and on very bright light there is a baffle that can be swung down infront of the cell and the scale changes automatically

They are still fully serviceable and if it does go belly up, (unlikely) new cells are still available. The model before that was the Weston V which is just as good but has a more cluttered dial but has a zone table on the dial ready to use.

I have had mine for close on 20 years now and is as good as the day I bought it, second hand even then. Spend no more than $50-$70 or the Pounds equivalent. I rarely use it now but wouldn't part with it for twice that amount.

I have a friend who uses a Weston 111 which must be 60 or more years old and after 2 cleanings and services is is still working well so their reliability go without saying.

Look at this link

www.westonmeter.org.uk/‎

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Having used a Weston master V for many years I sadly dropped it and broke the glass, I found a Master IV which was cheaper than getting my V repaired, I have other meters, but use the weston for it's accuracy,I second all that BM Bikerider has said about them, I have yet to be let down by a weston,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Atari1977 View Post
    So I'm looking to buy a new light meter. Currently I use an old Soviet Sverdlosk 4 meter, which is actually fairly accurate, but it's got a few faults. One being that the only options for its batteries are motherboard batteries or a AA adapter that doubles its size. think an upgrade might be due. I'm a big fan analog light meters, so I would like to get one in a that style. I'm currently looking at the Sekonic L-208, which has the added feature of being able to be shoe mounted. Is this a good meter, or are there others that I should be looking at. Also, I noticed that the L-208 does not have a viewfinder, so what is a good strategy for metering with it?
    Pentax Spotmeter V can be had for little money if not mint. Transforms your metering, making Zone system very simple. I love mine.

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Pentax Spotmeter V can be had for little money if not mint. Transforms your metering, making Zone system very simple. I love mine.

RR
    I do have a Pentax V, I use it for my large format photography. I'm really looking for a better reflective/incident light meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimjm View Post
    Another vote for the L-208. It's small, accurate and I haven't had any problems with reliability. I use it in both reflected and incident modes. It's easy to keep in your pocket and I haven't had to change the battery in over 2 years. Especially when I'm shooting with Leicas or other small meterless cameras it's very easy to use to occasionally adjust/confirm my settings based on the lighting conditions. For a shoe-mount meter I also use the VCII meter, but if I'm shooting with wider/longer lenses that need an external VF, I use the L-208. For medium format with a tripod, or low light situations I have a Gossen Luna-Pro which meters down to EV -1. It's obviously a lot bigger and heavier than the Sekonic, but is very sensitive and has a wide metering range. If you shoot different formats and for varying situations, you may find that not just one meter will suit all your needs.
    So for the Gossen Luna-Pro, what's your solution for the fact that it originally used mercury batteries that are no longer available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The later Luna Pro SBC and F use regular 9v batteries. I like my SBC a lot. With the variable angle attachment it can even double for some "almost spot" metering, but one thing these meters are not is small. They're a handful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin