Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,249   Online: 746

Shooter
    Medium Format

labprint to digital-file

Hallo,

this could be probably a question 10 years ago, so: sorry, i am a newbie.

following situation: i work analog (120/6x6) send my films to a lab, which does development and chemical printing. The results are good.
    AFter that i digitalize them with flatbed scanner in 300 dpi for internetpresentation.There is no need for additional color - correction.

Now i could sell my first prit for a magzine (jipey), but have the problem, that they graphic-people want A3 (30 cm x 40cm) format.
    My lab is only able to print in 30x40 (i think it is a frontier-machine), so my prints are 30x30.

What to do in such situation? Just scan the prints in 600 dpi? Feels somehow like interpolation?
    Or do i get good results with this methode? Is there another elegant way (except the expensive highendscan)

Am i doing it "the right way"? Digitalize labprints with flatbed?

Thank you for the answers

Best regards,

luke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    apug
    analog photography users group
    read up on the rules
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be more specific, this question is more appropriate over on the sister site, dpug.org. That is reserved for questions regarding the digital end of hybrid process. I bet you get pretty good answers, too.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    luke

sorry people here are a bit touchy when it comes to
    electrons and modern technology .. im not gun shy ...

its ezpz ... just skann them at a high DPI and target the size they want
    at the magazine .. then after you do your PS stuff, change the
    dpi back down to 300 .. its not that hard .. if you don't have the machine
    just ask your lab to do it for you, it is just a number change and file size change ...

its just like skanning to the apug gallery, you set the machine to a higherDPI
    and to upload you reduce it to 72dpi ..

good luck with your magazine image !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    oh sorry,

i just could not open a thread in the hybrid-forum.
    Anyway: thank you for the answers

The problem about scanning is that the results are pretty different from the lab-prints.
    I got reults from different labs from nikon coolscans and imacons,too. They did "just" correct brightness,colors and contrast in scanning.
    After i made light-jet prints and scanned them to get similair examples...it looked different :/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinschus View Post
    Now i could sell my first prit for a magzine (jipey), but have the problem, that they graphic-people want A3 (30 cm x 40cm) format.
    My lab is only able to print in 30x40 (i think it is a frontier-machine), so my prints are 30x30.
    The obvious answer would be to find a lab than can offer prints at the size you want. Two options exist: Print full 6x6 frame and leave significant white borders top and bottom. Crop the 6x6 neg to fit a 3:4 format. Both should be possible on a Frontier machine, but may well incur a small setup charge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    The obvious answer would be to find a lab than can offer prints at the size you want. Two options exist: Print full 6x6 frame and leave significant white borders top and bottom. Crop the 6x6 neg to fit a 3:4 format. Both should be possible on a Frontier machine, but may well incur a small setup charge.
    yeah .. that too
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try the link at the top (very top) of the page for our sister site, DPUG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin