Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,572   Online: 1087

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
710. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

266 37.46%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.24%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

190 26.76%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

92 12.96%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.31%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I saw what was either a pro or a serious amateur using one today taking pictures of some wierd art work in Bristol (A fake truck crash with flowers spilling out) I said to him, oh I want one of them, and he said, no you don't! Don't know if he thought I was gona mug him, either that or he asumed my F80 was a DSLR and thought that I was asuming his camera was digital.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Just last night my 15 year old Granddaughter was visiting and spied my Speed Graphic on the table. She ask a few questions (none about a Hasselblad however) so I took the opportunity to go over the camera in some detail. She then surprised me totally by stating that she would like to learn about traditional photography. You see, we gave her a d-camera for her birthday in March and she has been using it since. To say I was overjoyed is an understatement.

Now the problem is: what format should we begin with? We both would like to begin using the 4x5 but she needs one she can handle more easily at first. I’m thinking about the C330f – a compromise at this point. She actually said, “We can’t control the development of individual frames with roll film.” That about floored me!

I can’t wait!
    How about a miniature Speed Graphic then? 2x3 sheet film is cheaper, the camera is easier to carry and handle, and it has the coolness factor of being having interesting historic connections, even to a non-photographer (Jacqueline Bouvier, among others, used one - before she married the junior senator from Massachusetts.)

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    I think if anyone ever asks me the question again, I'll paraphrase Mae West and say "no, just pleased to see you".
    Warning - two part story ahead, with the second part completely off topic:

I met my last girlfriend in part because I was carrying an interesting camera. I walked into the local co-op art gallery carrying a Miniature Speed Graphic and was immediately approached by a cute and funky looking artist who asked about the camera. We got to talking about photography and polaroid transfers, then met a week or so later for breakfast and so I could give her my spare Polaroid to replace the one she had been borrowing. Ended up dating for about ten months.

Which leads me to the quote above. One night when we were at a movie I happened to be carrying a small rubber snake that she had left over from a piece of (very) mixed media art she had done. During the movie I clipped it to my shorts. As we were walking out she glanced down and, noticing the snake, said "Is that a snake on your shorts?" to which I replied, "No, I'm just happy to see you."

True story.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 10 years ago I was working for a company in Minnesota. The company had a staff photographer, who I was assisting shoot some product shots in the studio (I was an engineer there and had designed the equipment). His friend, a nationally known photographer (who will remain nameless because a lot of you folks would know him) came in. We were introduced and his first question for me was whether I was a photographer. I told him I was an amateur. His next question was "do you shoot blad?" After saying I didn't have one, he said nothing more to me.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    How about a miniature Speed Graphic then? 2x3 sheet film is cheaper, the camera is easier to carry and handle, and it has the coolness factor of being having interesting historic connections, even to a non-photographer (Jacqueline Bouvier, among others, used one - before she married the junior senator from Massachusetts.)
    Um, Bruce, few emulsions are available in 2x3 sheets. For 2x3, 120 film offers many more emulsions.

The Mini Speed was discontinued before Graflex offered the Graflok back, but Graflex did offer 2x3 Graflok backs for retrofitting on the Mini. These differed from 2x3 Graflok backs for, naturally, 2x3 Pacemakers, in having the FPS flash sync terminal in the upper left corner of the back, as on the Mini's original spring back. I've seen 'em. Also, normal ordinary 2x3 Pacemaker Grafloks can be fitted to the Mini. Nowadays this make little economic sense. But I've owned one such.

A Mini with a spring back can be used with roll film. Just put the roll film in a 2x3 size Adapt-A-Roll 620. I use 'em, they're offered from time to time on eBay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Need to bump my old thread up. Was at work recently, and was showing off my new photo website that is in development. One of the guys who sits next to me seen a photo of my Speed Graphic on an info page.

"Is that a Hasselblad?"

Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got that reaction while working with the Robert Rigby pinhole camera, not a Hasselblad at all! (see attachment)
    Last edited by Philippe-Georges; 06-01-2007 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can't resist it

Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast View Post
    Yeah, but the really weird part of it was I was standing at a urinal at the time, and didn't have a camera with me...
    Or to paraphrase Mae West "Is that a Hasselblad ,or are you just pleased to see me ".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People down here just don't know what a Hasselblad is! The closest I have come is the comment from a bystander while I was using a Rollei 3.5F .....is that a box brownie? I didn't know that you could still get film for them.
    No problems mam, was my polite reply.
    Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog View Post
    You know your talking to a real expert when they ask "Is that a Hasselbald?" when your shooting with you HOLGA
    I've been asked "Is that a Leica?" when shooting my Holga. I told him it's not far off. After all, the two last letters are there, aren't they!

Antje

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin