Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,460   Online: 1056

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 53 FirstFirst ... 5910111213141516171819202125 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Just for fun, a ITAH Club?

Remember the fad of the "Turtle Club", way back when? (apparently it still exists: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_Turtles).
    Someone would ask you, "Are you a turtle?", and if you were, you'd answer with the password phrase, "You bet your sweet a*s I am", and ostensibly, go out for a drink together.

I would like to hereby propose a similar stupidity with the question, "Is that a Hasselblad?".. How about an incongruous response such as, "Not with my wife, you don't!", to see if the questioner is in-the-know, or just another techno-weenie (which we all are before being blessed with GPE -((Great Photographic Enlightenment. Harp music, please. Hub hub).

Then, instead of going out for a drink together, you could do something even more worthwhile: exchange addresses of the last photo outlets on earth who still sell film!

Just a thought..

Christopher

(PS - "Not with my wife, you don't!" also works well as a response to, "Is that a Deardorff?", or "Hey, where's the twenty bucks you owe me?", or as a punchline to numerous jokes about chickens, three men in a boat .. and many other jokes and questions. Strange looks and scratched heads are guaranteed ... but people will definitely leave you alone to finish taking your photos).
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 04-26-2007 at 04:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    At the last but one UK Gathering someone saw me winding on my C330 and asked if it was "an old movie camera"...
    Know what you mean Frank, I was using my C330 in the city last year with the L grip, prism, and 180mm lens pair, and a passer by asked if I was from the local TV company.:o
    Ben

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I will tell anyone who asks that my LF cameras are antiques. If I were to tell them how old they really are, they'd think "replica"...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had "ITAH?" when shooting with Fujica 6x9s, P6s, Exakta 66s, a Century Graphic, Pentax LXs and an MZ-S and - most oddly but also most correctly, my X-Pan. Never had it with LF though.

I've had "are you with [insert name of local newspaper]?" with most of the above too. Once, while doing the shots for a calendar, that was quite useful: by the end of the series of shoots I had a pretty good idea which publications to advertise it in.

My usual reply to "is that digital" is that I prefer film - but when the questioner seems more interested in misguided digi-snobbery than in an actual answer I say (truthfully) that my clients prefer film. That shuts them up. I have also, once, and truthfully, replied that "chicks dig film", which sent the guy away looking worried.

I get asked fairly often if I'm a professional. The oddest time though was when I was on holiday, shooting hand-held with a couple of very old Pentax Spotmatics, for fun, not for work. I think what made my questioner ask was the patience with which I was waiting for my shot to be free of people.

I think the question is more often an expression of genuine interest, however mild, than anything else, so I try to answer in a friendly way.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last time somebody came up to me and asked me why the hell my camera needs to take 2 photo's at the same time. I was holding a Flexaret VI TLR. Harharhar, guess she never realized what it was what I was holding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Should have told her it was in case you messed one of them up.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format

ITAS

Oh, and there is another one: "Is that a Sinar?", which I've had twice when shooting with Arca-Swiss monorails. Not as stupid as the ITAH? version, but somehow more annoying!

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was asked ITAH once when I was out with my 3x4 Crown Graphic. The person who asked turned out to be a visitor from Germany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandicoot View Post
    Oh, and there is another one: "Is that a Sinar?", which I've had twice when shooting with Arca-Swiss monorails. Not as stupid as the ITAH? version, but somehow more annoying!

Peter
    I suspect you are a bit too caught up in your equipment (but then again, so are a lot of us). I have been shooting LF for 22 years and I doubt if I could tell the diff between a Arca-Swiss and a Sinar.

My theory on LF is... it's a big light-tight box. The quality of your lens is more important than the frame you carry it on.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    On countless occasions when I've been out shooting with my C330s, somebody has come up to me and said " oh I used to have one of those". Maybe if we took all the ex C330 owners and laid them end to end they'd reach to Pluto and back LMSO.....
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin