Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,425   Online: 792

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
712. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

267 37.50%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.23%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

191 26.83%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

93 13.06%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

201 28.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617181920212226 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Reminds me

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    On countless occasions when I've been out shooting with my C330s, somebody has come up to me and said " oh I used to have one of those". Maybe if we took all the ex C330 owners and laid them end to end they'd reach to Pluto and back LMSO.....
    I know its off subject, but it reminds me of Dorothy Parker who wrote in the 1930's " If all the girls at UCLA were laid end to end, I wouldn't be at all surprised."
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most recent incorrect ITAH was when I was using a Horseman 45FA. Most recent correct identification was when I found myself among a crowd of Japanese tourists. (Actually on that occasion it was more a case of "Hah! Hasu buradu!"). In fact I've had a very high number of ITAHs from Japanese, and a 100% accuracy rate. They know their cameras, and indeed the Swedes' cameras too...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, I agree, my Blad has been correctly diagnosed by a Japanese once too!

Come to think of it: The saddest experience I had so far regarding the ITAH was actually being asked "Is that a camera?" But, well, maybe it's a good thing - you can shoot photos of them without them noticing it.

Antje

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd View Post
    I know its off subject, but it reminds me of Dorothy Parker who wrote in the 1930's " If all the girls at UCLA were laid end to end, I wouldn't be at all surprised."
    Off topic too I fear, but wasn't Dorothy Parker the one who wrote "Latins are lousy lovers" for Esquire somewhere in the 1930's? Must have been quite a lady. Did she do photography as well?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I haven't been asked this question. But I use a 4X5 field camera. I have been asked "How did you find an antique camera in such great shape?" when I was setting up my brand-new 4X5 (brand name is not important -- is it?). People are absolutely stunned into disbelief when I answer "Not only is this camera new, there are at least 10 other companies making competing brands!" ("Can you get film for it, too?" Yeah, there are about 20 or 30 brands of film, too!").

Now, if I was a wedding photographer, I suppose I might have a well-worn Hasselblad on at least on display just so I would be taken seriously as a pro. I might buy one anyway, someday, just for the heck of it.

Anyway, many people believe that pros have some secret ingredient, some special piece of gear, some trick that separates them from everyone else. A Hasselblad represents that talisman for photographers, I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Worthen View Post
    Anyway, many people believe that pros have some secret ingredient, some special piece of gear, some trick that separates them from everyone else.
    Isn't that why some of us have G.A.S.?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I suspect you are a bit too caught up in your equipment (but then again, so are a lot of us). I have been shooting LF for 22 years and I doubt if I could tell the diff between a Arca-Swiss and a Sinar.
    You really don't know me very well then! I'm very much a pictures rather than a gear person, but just like a painter can have particular favourites in terms of who makes their brushes, without obsessing about it, so a photographer may have preferences for particular equipment.

Maybe you can't tell an Arca from a Sinar - but if the camera you normally shot with was one or other of them, then you would be able to. If you used a Wista you wouldn't confuse it with a Tachihara, for instance, even though the two are much more similar to one another than the two Swiss monorails are.

My point was more about the fact that Sinar is the only monorail that non LF-shooters seem to have heard of. Just as the 'blad is the only MF reflex camera that non MF photographers have heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    My theory on LF is... it's a big light-tight box. The quality of your lens is more important than the frame you carry it on.
    Well, of course it's the lens that matters. The box is only about what particular choices one wishes to make about ease of use for a particular job, features one needs versus those one would sacrifice to save weight/bulk, rigididy versus weight/cost, flexibility versus simplicity and ease of use, etc., etc.

This thread is in a forum with the word 'equipment' in its title, so we're all liable to sound like gear-heads here, but that doesn't mean that's how we think when we get back into the fresh air!

Peter

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Check out line wild oats, "nice camera, is that a holga," asks the punky girl behind the register. "No it's only a leica, and I left my dianas at home," Is my reply. I'm glad my leica is as inconspicious as a holga. Yesterday I was asked, is that a leica? when I had a hasselblad xpan around my neck.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Using my 500c/m mostly in Rural Iowa, I don't ever get any people talking to me unless they want to tell me I can't take photos whereever I'm standing. Most of them just glare at me since "I'm not from round there."

People, as a rule, aren't very familiar with photo gear enough to even make the statement.

I live in a college town and have been asked what/if I was filming, while walking with it in my hands, as if it was a video camera of some sort. With the 50mm lens on it, it does look like some sort of video camera I guess.

I'm always afraid people are going to think it's a bomb.

A comical exchange would be to tell an ignorant gal that it is a Geiger counter, she's registering hot, and you need to get her out of her clothes to make another reading. I'm not the guy to pull it off though.

I guess the population is sparse enough around here that people don't randomly come up and talk to me. That or I just have that Falling Down look about me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a similar experience shooting at a local park (Maymont, for those of you familiar with Richmond) with the RB67. I pulled out the tripod, set it up low to the ground to get a closeup shot of some flowers, and this guy comes up, blocks my light, and asks ITAH? I told him it was a Mamiya and he harumphed and walked off. I don't think he knew what I was talking about.

I also get people asking if it's a video camera all the time; I shoot street in Carytown (where I work) quite a bit, and with the square hood for the 50mm & prism finder, I can see how people would think that.
    Last edited by lifein2x3; 05-02-2007 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin