Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,286   Online: 892

View Poll Results: Ever been asked "Is that a Hasselbad?"

Voters
698. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

258 36.96%
  • Yes, while shooting 35mm or smaller.

23 3.30%
  • Yes, while shooting Medium Format

189 27.08%
  • Yes, while shooting Large Format

90 12.89%
  • Yes, and it was a Hasselblad!

200 28.65%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 111516171819202122232425262731 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    One week ago in Ely Nevada a guy stops in a truck, watching me set up a 14 x 17, and asks the ITAH question....I told him no, I just can t afford one.
    Now THAT'S a great answer. When you shoot a format where a single sheet of film is more than a used A12 back....

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

I reply :"No, it's a Henway" hoping they'll ask
    "Whats a Henway?" Then I get to tell 'em:
    "About five pounds!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I reply :"No, it's a Henway" hoping they'll ask
    "Whats a Henway?" Then I get to tell 'em:
    "About five pounds!"
    Or: "It's a dickfor." You know the rest
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm. John, ever been asked "Is that a Guarneri del Gesu?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Today at a Thanksgiving gathering I brought my Canon New F-1, FD 50/1.2L, loaded with Ektachrome 320T, and another photographer shooting a Nikon D40 asked me, "Is that full frame?" I think this question is the new "ITAH?"

(To be fair, he was otherwise fairly knowledgeable and was doing some good flash work, knew to gel the flash to tungsten to combine with ambient light, and was getting some good photos.)
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My last ITAH was three weeks ago at the Roman Baths in Trier, Germany.
    I was shooting with a Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic with a 90 mm Schneider Angulon.
    (The shots I made on 35 mm with the Konica Hexar AF on Portra 400NC turned out sharper than the 4x5s. Dim light, which with a max app. of f/6,8 resulted in shutter speeds which were a bit too slow to shoot hand held).
    Last edited by vanspaendonck; 11-23-2007 at 01:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo corrected

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Finally, on November 17, half way up Mt. Stilwell in the Australian Alps I too was blessed with a genuine exact ITAH from a rucksacked bushwalker. He seemed genuinely disappointed to learn it was only a Tachihara 810 HD.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I shot a few beech trees with my Blad during a hike (yes, I hike with all my gear, and yes, it hurts), and a guy about my age came up, saying how cool it was to see a Hasselblad in action. He asked what lenses I had and which film I used. Nice.

On the other hand: I went to a reputable photo store with huge second hand department and asked about used large format gear. The wizened sales man pointed me to the corner where everything was and waited - a Rolleicord, a Hasselblad 501, a Mamiya, a Bronica... Not *exactly* what I was looking for. *sigh*

Antje

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have added a Hasselblad 501CM kit to my arsenal of large format and 35mm. I cannot wait for someone to ask me if the camera is a Hasselblad. Now, should I be a smart ass and say "No, it's a Mamiya" or should I proudly say a hearty "Why yes, it is! How did you know?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I guess Japanese are more tuned to different types of cameras.
    Without going into too much detail, the Japanese are very brand-savvy: Rollex, Vuitton, Leica, Mont Blanc, etc, etc. I was surprised that the average person on the street here knows at least the name Leica/Rollei and how expensive they are.

I appreciated her shooting with a small P&S "film" camera.
    When I go on vacation I can tell who the Japanese are because they still use disposables. Old habits die hard ...

Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Once I was shooting in Helsinki city center with the camera on tripod, chimney, cable release and hand meter.
    An old man passed by and said, " ahhhh, the good old times"!
    I was pleased with that.
    I would have shook his hand

Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    I once had a woman ask me if my Sinar was a rocket launcher.
    THAT'S when you reply "No, I'm just happy to see you"

People don't usually approach me, but when they do I almost always get "Is that digital?" After I say "No, I shoot film" I usually answer questions for about 5 minutes. I never get "You should shoot digital"; I'd be pissed if I did (though I know fully how to answer back.) The most looks I've gotten is when I'm with my M3 or a TLR. The latter seems to jog many a senior citizen's memory
    Those who know, shoot film

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin